Saturday, July 9, 2022

Deja Horse

 You know, I could've sworn we drove to this farm the other day.



This time, I wore boots. To Carrie's horror, I wore them with shorts. 


She refused to go into a Starbucks with me if I wore them, so I told her to go on ahead.

Once she was in line and ordering, I hopped out of the car and joined her. Then she had no choice, but to be seen in public with me and my boots!

But that's a side story. Why were we back at the same barn we'd visited a few days ago after a rain storm?


Josefine had her baby. Carrie desperately wanted to meet him. 


Apparently, there was an incident right before we arrived. There was a line down and baby rolled to the other side when standing up. That led to Mama and Boy panicking when there was a fence between them!


But it got sorted out. Margaret brought some repair tools as she walked out with us and muttered "Why can't they hang out in the shelter on the other side of the field?"

My first thought was: "Because they can't change colors without a little mud."


Fjords come in multiple color packages. The remaining pregnant mare shows off a dun (I think).


But Josefine and her baby are of the lighter variety which gives them the ability to change colors when unclean.

Also, Baby needs to be careful about standing right behind Mama.


Whack!


Baby was a little shy about letting anyone touch him at first, but Mama knew humans were good for scratches. 


She kept coming up to us and Baby followed.


I tried to position myself in ways to block Baby off, so that Carrie could scritch a scratch or two to earn her way into his good graces.


It was slow going, but Carrie was enjoying it so we weren't going anywhere.


Margaret came back with tools to fix the fence line. The carrot was crucial, because it lured Josefine away from where Margaret wanted to work!


Carrie was happy to help. See the smile?


By this time, Baby had started to acclimate to Carrie. She hit a good spot here. What the camera doesn't show is that it was so good, baby started backing up into her to get more scratch action!


So Carrie earned her way into the herd.


We hung around to talk for a while afterward. Margaret started to tell Carrie about how cute one of the recent vets was and that she was her son Alex's age.....which I found hilarious. It was exactly the sort of thing Nana would have done. 

Alex introduced himself later and I was sorely tempted to make a cute vet comment or two, but I opted out of causing trouble (Just barely!).

Instead, Carrie caused me trouble. I was being sociable and asked about some of the heavy hardware in passing. Carrie told Margaret I was "Really interested," though. So Margaret called her husband over to tell me all about it.

I learned a new thing or two, but I would've been happier on the way to Yoder's for a hand pie. I was planning to try a new flavor this time as my reward for doing horsey-social things!

No comments:

Post a Comment