Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Maddy Moves Around the Yard

Maddy's been enjoying her time as a feral yard pony. She's fine with being on her own, but will sometimes come up and sleep by the barn and the other horses. I caught her watching some deer cross through the arena in this shot.


The problem is: She itches on EVERYTHING.


One of the reasons Maddy isn't in the lot with the mares is the concrete base of the automatic waterer. Maddy will scratch herself until she's raw and bleeding on it. We thought there wouldn't be anything like it in the yard, but Maddy has proven otherwise.


She's very creative about what she'll itch herself on.


I've had to remove the parking beams and we keep all the food dishes inside the barn now. 

I was out "Go-go-going" with Loki when I saw Maddy attack the security gatepost.


I had to rush over and shoo her away before she knocked it out of the ground! (Well, after I laughed and took a few seconds of video to prove I wasn't making it up!)


I make a point of itching Maddy every time I walk by her. I have to break into a jog for her to stop following me and demanding more!

And Maddy's not shy about asking anyone and everyone who shows up at the barn, either. She expects service with a smile!

She's a good pony. Carrie makes sure to check her and treat her whenever we pull her in for meals, but Maddy's itchy by nature and will probably be so for life. I've taken to using the shedding comb on her daily and you wouldn't believe the amount she sheds over and over and over!

I've realized that Maddy is the farm's mascot. She's the only horse that's been with us from the very beginning and she has close to free reign to run (and rub her butt) all over.

1 comment:

  1. I feel you on the itchy horse, because Indy is such an itchy dog. She will lick or scratch herself raw unless we keep an eye on her to make her stop. She sleeps with the "Cone of Shame" plastic cone so she doesn't wake up Aunt Dot during the night with her licking, slurping and scratching. We take Indy for grooming, too. It is so worth the cost! Indy's groomer is retiring at the end of this year so then we'll have to find another groomer. We'll miss her.

    ReplyDelete