Friday, March 24, 2023

Stuck (Summer)

This story starts with grass seed.


It was an emergency ask from Carrie. The seed guy said he was coming with next to no notice and she wasn't available. I've only missed two days of school all year. One was for Travis' funeral and the other was coaching related and therefore school business. 

So, I took a day. I did barn chores, opened the gate, and passed on instructions to the seed guy.


He had an expensive apparatus attached to the back of his tractor that tries to earn it's keep each year in planting season (and is useless the rest of the year which is part of the plight of modern farming). 

I think it took him 3 or 4 hours to cover all the fields and burn through all our grass seed. I could check timestamps, but I'm in hurry-up-and-post-stuff mode!


Meanwhile, I had a problem. I'd gotten the gator stuck on Poop Mountain.


The forest poop/compost pile has grown tremendously. I hazarded driving up to push more poop further into the woods and bet wrong. I attempted digging out (ew) and shoving things under the wheels to drive out, but failed.


Next, I attempted to use the mower to pull it out. If Carrie was home, I would've gone straight to the truck. However, I didn't want to tell her the gator was stuck yet. I wanted to see if I could fix things myself. I thought about hijacking the truck, but I didn't want to see the seeder guy to see I was an idiot either.

Thankfully, I wasn't a total idiot. I guessed the gator weighed more than the mower and proceeded cautiously. The mower popped a wheelie (which I didn't know it could do) and then the cord broke. 


I didn't try to engineer any cockamamie fixes after a few failures. I'd known from the start it was an easy two person fix. I told Carrie I needed her in the truck AFTER she got home (there was no reason to give her anxiety when she was off property!). 

We took care of business lickity split. We tied the gator up to the truck, Carrie drove, and I hopped in the gator. I put the gator in gear, started running the tires slightly, and signaled Carrie. It worked like a charm.


I took more pictures than these three and I showed them to my class. They all got a laugh at my misadventures while I was working on the farm instead of in the classroom. I told them getting good grades was key to getting jobs with good air conditioning, but there was plenty of money to be made for those who could handle the outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment