Thursday, March 16, 2023

Boats (Summer)

The boats fad has continued unabated. Melvin brings them in by the backpack-full. He numbered one bunch and it got up to 150 if I recall correctly. I've converted an old belVita box to be the home for the index card sized ones.


Larger ones get displayed in other areas of the classroom.


Some of the biggest ones I've turned into hall passes. I'll write something like "Kid A is sailing to Room B" on the bow.


A few have even come home or gone elsewhere! I have one student who wants to "spread the cult of the boat" to the middle school.


I'm definitely not into starting any cults, but I did try some creative art projects. 


Not that they survived long. 


It keeps kids amused! That's really the point of it. Have some fun and make some memories. 


It's also a good objective lesson: If you throw enough effort at something simple you can turn it into something special!

Melvin graduates this year, so I'm 99% sure that the boats will fade into obscurity next year. They're something he made special. Other kids have jumped on and faded off the bandwagon, but those waves have only been possible because Melvin's kept it going. I'll definitely keep a few around the room in memory of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment