Sunday, January 21, 2018

Another Recovery Sunday

I don't know if I mentioned, but Carrie is sick again. She was up when Shane and I came downstairs at 7 AM and then fell asleep again. She was still asleep when Shane and I slipped out for church. It's a minor miracle we didn't wake her up in between!

Sunday is simultaneously our recovery and get ready for the week day. We all cleaned. Shane complained about cleaning until he got in trouble for it. He rallied and finished the job in time for a Lowe's and Costco run.

Then we went to a park to meet his friend Sam. Upon arrival Shane immediately climbed up the structure and shouted, "Hey everybody! Look at me climbing! Isn't this great!?"


Sam and his little brother, Toby, showed up several minutes later.


Normally, a park wouldn't be our go-to hangout in the winter. It was 60 degrees F out and fairly sunny, though. I was in a t-shirt and no coat.


Shane and Sam didn't have any trouble occupying themselves. They threw sticks, dug trenches, and managed to have enough fun all the little kids came over to bug them. Shane made it "rain sand" and then discovered how un-fun it was when little kids repeated his actions endlessly.


Funny playground politics moment - Shane and Sam put mulch on the bottom of the slide to make a Calvin and Hobbes style 'trap.' Some older gentleman was a little upset by this. I told Shane to clear it for little kids to be respectful, but didn't care how many times he and Sam plowed through.


The day ended with squirrel chasing. The kids never surrendered no matter how futile it was.


When it was time to go, the boys each pulled a Calvin and Hobbes comic from their respective rides and compared notes.


We spent almost two hours outside, but I didn't mind stopping for the boys to enjoy a moment of reading. I wish Shane was more into reading! Sam's mom laughed from her car, so I imagine she felt the same.


Patrick had texted me about maybe playing a game and we usually check in on Dylan, but I was beat by the time we got home. It was dinner, rest, and electronics until bed time.  Yesterday, Carrie showed Shane Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Saturday. I wanted her to wait for him to read the book, but I think she really wanted to play Year 3 of the Lego Harry Potter game without giving up spoilers. He likes to watch her play and plays some, too.

1 comment:

  1. Shane is sure having a fun childhood! Pop and I want to go see Harry Potter land at Universal Studios in Florida sometimes. Have you, Carrie and Shane been to that? I want to watch all the movies before we go.

    ReplyDelete