Saturday, January 13, 2018

These are how our in-season Saturdays go

Shane and I packed up for another Saturday by the mats. He wisely brought some Calvin and Hobbes books. Carrie went to visit Nibs.


I don't usually coach at the HS events, but I like to go and show my support whenever they're in an easy drive.


We were out at Western Albemarle High School, home of the Warriors. They're the best local team with an established coach and program. I've never been in the school before.....or realized that they were 'Llama Warriors.'


The team went 0-5 for the day (including losing a tie breaker all the way down to criterion H), but the kids are definitely better wrestlers than when we started. The team as a whole would kill last year's team. We'll lose several seniors next year (including our best wrestler), but with a few of my middle school kids moving up the teams should be comparable. In two years? If the attrition isn't bad the team could be the best it's been in years.

I was a fan of the wrestling, but Shane doesn't like it if he goes too long in being the center of attention.


Or it could be a prime example of how he exudes energy without a release.

His regularly scheduled release popped up at 12:30 PM. I drove Shane back for his 2nd basketball game.


Practice was rescheduled to Friday and we missed out this week. However, the height matchups looked favorable.


Here's the unedited footage for any bored basketball aficionados. 


For the rest of us, the final score was 32-8. It was another slaughter. However, in the periods when Shane was on the court the score was only 10-4.


I praised Shane on his defensive skills. I'd have to re-watch, but I think there was at most 2 points scored by whoever he was defending. Shane's not the most clued in, but he knows how to stick his hands up in someone's face and he has plenty of energy to run around the court (and around and around and around!).


We snacked, debriefed, and grabbed a quick lunch at Cookout after the game ended.


Then it was right back to wrestling. We stumbled upon Subba playing a round of Hearthstone. Shane was thrilled.


Throughout our adventures, I received a text from one of Shane's school friends, Sam. We bumped into Sam at the library almost a year ago. Sam's dad asked if Shane could bring his Pokemon cards. They're in the same class and Carrie wasn't going to be back until after 5 PM, so I said, "How about 4:30?"


We stayed until a little after 6 PM. Sam cried when we started to make our exit. I imagine we'll have another Pokemon session at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment