Sunday, January 14, 2018

Chickens of Winter

Outdoor chores are less fun when it's below freezing. Before our road trip, I decided to check on the chickens. The coop door didn't close all the way and that let in a possum at least once.


Then I stepped on the hose and realized it was a hose-cicle.


I don't know if it was left on or if somehow rainwater had pooled into it before the deep freeze (We had a random day of 60 degree weather and some rain earlier in the week before the temperature plunged 50 degrees in under 48 hours!).

I did know that the hose was filled with solid ice, stuck on the faucet, and the faucet wouldn't turn.

Carrie and I didn't want to leave with a potentially frozen faucet. We requisitioned the extension cord from the heated water trough,...


...and Carrie brought out a hand dryer.


She was able to remove the hose after a short while. The water came on when I messed with the faucet a few minutes later. Crisis averted!


We hit the road shortly thereafter. Carrie drove. I helped entertain Shane and pumped gas.

John texted me a complaint about the cold, so I snapped a quick pick of my warm minion hat and hoody.


"You look like a depressed lumber jack about to go on site," John replied.

I didn't care. I was warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment