Monday, January 15, 2018

Welcome Back Stateside, Grandma and Grandma!

Grandma and Grandpa arrived back from Singapore Friday. They were still jet-lagged when we arrived Sunday (It's a 13 hour time difference).


Immediately, we launched into 2nd Christmas. Shane and Carrie were both eager.


Shane's reason to be eager is clear: He's a kid and he likes gifts.


Carrie's reason? She had some creative gifts to unleash. I don't want to post them until the last one is given out, but Grandma was a big fan.


She laughed hysterically.


I was able to get Shane to take a short Lego break,...


...but then there was a lot of TV. Both Grandpa and Grandma love to have the TV on (which is where Carrie gets it from). They're able to function and tune out the noise far better than I am. Carrie and Grandma worked and watched Once in the den. Grandpa put both of the day's NFL playoff games on. I watched both Pittsburgh vs Jacksonville and New Orleans vs Minnesota and I didn't even really want to. Thankfully, both games were fantastic.


Shane started to develop a headache over the course of the day. By bedtime, he was acting weepy and sick. Carrie sent me to get some children's meds to keep at the house while she checked him out (I paused on my way out the door to see the Saints make their field goal attempt with 0:25 left. Grandpa asked me a question or two, I turned to leave, and then turned around as the TV erupted with Viking fans going nuts over a last second mistake that led to a 62 yd touchdown).

When I got back from Food Lion, Carrie told me Shane had thrown up in the toilet. 

He woke up fine the next day, so I don't know what to tell you. Shane wanted to make waffles and look at trains.


Grandpa eventually convinced Shane to play a game. Shane and Grandpa played against me in Othello.


I like Othello. Shane prefers Monopoly.

I opted out and Grandpa opted in. I helped set up, organize Shane's money, and let them go at it. They shuffled up the property cards and dealt some out for a 'short game.'

Grandpa looked pretty smug until the dice favored a certain little boy.


Grandpa landed on a $600 rent Boardwalk with two houses. Then, Shane hit free parking and picked up a pile of accumulated money (house rule). That money then funded a hotel on boardwalk.


Which Grandpa sailed right onto shortly thereafter. Game over!


And thus, Shane's love for Monopoly continued.

We left in the late afternoon. We made it back in time for Shane to go to basketball practice at 5 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment