Sunday, July 1, 2018

Summer Sicko

I took Shane to the doctor instead of church this morning.

He first complained about a sore throat Friday. No fever.

Then he continued to mention it Saturday. Towards the evening he started to run a low fever (100.3 F). He didn't act particularly sick, but his skin felt warm and I decided to take him to a doctor in the morning if he still ran a temp.

Sunday morning, Shane's temp was 100.0 F. 

We showed up a little after 8 AM. I had Shane bring books to entertain himself, but he wanted me to look at everything he was reading.


Shane enjoyed giving the nurses his symptom history, self-diagnosis, and explaining what strep throat was. They were amused.

Have I mentioned Shane likes to hear himself?


Honestly, the constant noise drives me bonkers sometimes. I find I'm trying to be quiet to show him it can be done. Then I wonder if he starts the humming and singing, because I'm quiet. That'd be ironic.

Shane's curiosity also helps keep him entertained. The doctor's chair was "so cool!"


The test came back positive. Shane certainly didn't act like he had strep. He kept head-butting me in the back while I was trying to get the prescription from the doctor.


Some of the cousins had strep at the beach, but this feels like it may have come afterward. The incubation period of strep is normally 2-7 days and the cousins were on antibiotics early on. Maybe at the library? I'll never know, but it's kind of fun to try and figure it out.

We got the meds when CVS opened and it was a quiet day after that. Can't go anywhere crazy with a contagious strep kiddo.

No comments:

Post a Comment