Saturday, December 21, 2019

First Day of Break

Ah! The weekend! That's when my daily commute is much, much shorter. 

Normally, I walk. Today, I drove.....the gator. I set a record for the number of hay bales safely transported, too (9). 


I bet I could still get more. There's room on the roof.

We had an early morning visitor when Henry showed up with his dad. 


Erik was working on a few jumps that Carrie commissioned and Henry was there to help.


Really help.


Ever seen a pair of 9-year olds in a skid steer?


Erik said Henry is better than some of the people he hires to help! I watched Henry drive down to the arena, maneuver around some jumps, and then place the gravel dust for Erik to shovel.

As Shane and Henry piled into the cab I first thought, "This is really cool!" My next thought was, "Wait...is this okay?"

I'm the parent, so that's a good thing for me to think about. I was a little uneasy, but I wanted to see what happened. It was a good opportunity!

But what about Carrie? Was she going to be okay with it?

I looked over at her and she was looking at me. I shrugged and smiled. She looked at Erik and the boys got to have their fun!

The ditch was finished when I took a picture early morning.


The step was incomplete. That's where Henry drove the gravel dust.


Erik took the dirt he removed for the step and all the extra gravel dust and reinforced the culverts on our trail.


I didn't see that part of the work, because I took Shane and Henry to a wrestling tournament in Stuart's Draft! It was almost an hour drive, so we listened to The Terrible Two Go Wild as we drove.

I bought the kids hot dogs when we arrived. It was my way of saying, "Thanks" for them letting the boys in for free since I coach.


Shane's been to a ton of these, but it was all new to Henry. He wanted to know more about the sport! That's music to my ears! 

It was a smaller venue, so there wasn't a lot of excess mat space for the boys to fool around on.


Fool around they did!


Shane was flopping around on the ground and holding on to Henry's legs most of the time, but there were a couple of moments where they actually looked like they were wrestling!


We explored the school some, but I was a little shy about trying to venture too far.


My team only had four kids wrestling (and one was a middle schooler). The rest of the roster was filled with bandits (kids from other teams trying to get experience). There really wasn't much to help with and I felt a little like a freeloader. 

Our team wrestled at 10 AM and then they're next match was scheduled until 1 PM! I needed to have Henry back by 2 PM and it was an hour drive, so we only stayed for a little bit after they were done. We hit up Chicfila for lunch on the way home (complete with ice cream - it's break!). 

The boys got to play a little bit of Sim City before Molly showed up to pick up Henry.


Henry will be out of town for a bit, so we're lucky we got to play some before he left.

Shane and I started up Final Fantasy II later on. It's one of my favorites!


Amazingly, it even had some of my old saves!


I'm torn, though. I want to watch and help, but I also want to give Shane the chance to read and figure stuff out on his own some.

I played through the game largely on my own with some Nintendo Powers to guide me. I had to have been in 3rd or 4th grade (the original release day was July 1991, so I would have been 9 just like Shane). I remember the twins and Matt watching me play and we all pretended we were callers like Rydia at one point.

Two quick impressions: The SNES version is way easier than I remember and there are definite typos I never caught on to as a kid. "The" was omitted multiple times and "Leviatan" was should have had an 'h' in there!

Shane got to play for a while. Carrie eventually came in and gave him an early Christmas present.


It's been a fun month for Shane. We had a late Thanksgiving which led into his birthday week. Nana and Pop visited that weekend and then Grandma and Grandpa came the next. He spent some birthday/Christmas money afterward and now Carrie is giving him early presents? 

The kid loves December. He probably thinks it's all about him.

Carrie wanted to celebrate break, so we had dinner out. I brought Uno cards!


I felt good about the first day of break! There was work, play, food, friends, and adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment