Sunday, August 9, 2020

Archery Progress (Sunburn, Blisters, Shane and Carrie, Oh my!)

I've got two weeks of archery data now.

For my baseline, I hit the target with 52% of my arrows and scored 55 pts total (0.625 per shot).

My data could be inflated. My baseline target was on the ground and I had shots that hit the ground and skipped into it. I recognized it could be a problem then, so I placed the target up on a chair from then on out. 


I had many shots bounce off the plastic chair (Some even nearly made it back to me!).

The results so far after two weeks of shooting (9.5 sessions):

Percent on target:
Baseline - 52%
Min - 52%
Max - 77%
Average -  64% (including baseline)

Points scored:
Baseline - 55
Min - 54
Max - 86
Average - 64.3 (including baseline)

If you really like numbers and spreadsheets: This is the raw data.

My high scores were all on day 14! It was nice to end on a high note!

I experimented with how I recorded the data throughout the experiment. I started with taking pictures and using fingers to signify shot groups. I transitioned to texting Carrie quick synopses of each set on Hangouts ("16 x1, 1 x3 = 19")


There were many times I thought, "But can I count this!?"


You never realize how valuable a good protocol is until you need it to be consistent. I tried to lean towards not counting things. 

On borderline point shots, I judged the tip of the arrow as the indicator for the score. I believe I scored this grouping as 3 points (1 solidly in the 2 pt ring and the other just outside for 1 point).


I didn't shoot in a distraction free environment. Shane came out one day to tell me all about some magical wolves he'd come up with called "Timber wolves."


Some days he wanted to help. Usually for only a little bit before asking for something inside!


Other days he might want to shoot a few times (See how the shows changed, but the clothes didn't? Summer!).


The stinker actually got a few nice shots in here and there. He'd normally quit after one good one to my chagrin.


Carrie jumped in one time, too. She was really frustrated after hearing Chilly had complications after his surgery and wanted to hit something.


Hitting the target proved elusive which revved her up a little more! It got some energy out, at least. Carrie's a better shot than me by far with a gun. She used to be the one who shot the bow most frequently, but not anymore..

Archery is one of many skills that media lie about. It looks easy in movies, comics, and games. 

It can hurt, too. I don't wear the armguard and haven't got any 'raspberries,' but I did start to get blisters on my fingertips. My first thought was "Shoot through the pain." I got calluses from playing guitar and I figured it would just be "one of those things," but everything online seemed to say calluses were bad. 

I was surprised, but I decided to listen. I started to put on gloves. 


One day, I made the mistake of going outside without a shirt. It was overcast and I was only out for a little over 30 minutes, but my farmer's tan didn't cover my shoulders. If I played charades and had to get people to guess restaurant names, I could take off my shirt and they'd all yell "Red Lobster!"

Carrie tried to put a wet towel in the freezer to be nice, but it didn't turn out how she planned!


But it's been fun. I like getting a little exercise and I really like feeling like I'm getting better at something. The initial big gains are always a blast. I will eventually plateau and step back as I try to deal with bad habits formed now, but that's in the future.


I'm probably going to go outside and do today's shooting after I write this!

Aside from my aim, there have been lots of other areas of progress. Like my routine.

I used to lay the arrows out in groups of 6, 6, 6, and 4. It was a quick and easy visual marker that I had the right number.


However, I had to leave my stance every time I picked up an arrow. My distance from the target would shift with each reset until I recognized it and reset. Usually, I ended up farther rather than closer.

After one rain, I jammed the arrows into the ground. That let me stay in one spot and pluck them up as needed.


It wasn't as easy when the arena was dry, though. I had to jam them in individually or they'd fall. I tried putting them in front of me one day to act as a line. Smart in theory, but then I knocked several over with the bow.


Now I jam all 22 in beside me two at a time so that they stay up. It takes a little longer to set up, but the shooting goes smoother. I tend to count the arrows in the target now rather than after collection, so I know how many loose arrows I need to pick up.

I accidentally switched bow strings. Or at least I think I did. One was slightly shorter than the other and it felt like the draw was slightly stiffer. The arrows seemed to fly further and penetrate deeper, too. It could be my imagination, or perhaps the target is starting to show some wear and allowing the arrows to sink deeper.


There are some things I'm still puzzling out. Like, "Why do some of my arrows seem to hit sideways?"


This picture shows the phenomena. I've had multiple arrows bounce off the target rather than stick for points.


I've done some reading online and let me tell you there's a lot of physics in archery. People who get into it really get into it.

The fairly constant use has led to some wear and tear on the equipment. This arrow's fletching has all but fallen off one side.


This arrow scraped against the target and managed to get some stitching caught in its fletching.


The plastic chair has been roughed up a little. I pinged one shot dead off the metal leg and the arrow head popped off!


It popped right back on....which was a mistake. It stayed on the next flight (I think), but at some point I realized it was off again!


A loose arrowhead in the arena was a problem. I took the magnet on wheels and paced all around looking for it to no avail. I've kept an eye out for it since. It's not sharp, smaller than some of our gravel, and likely not pointed up, but I don't want any accidents. My best guess is it came off in the target when I pulled the arrow back out. I've poked around, but I can't tell without ripping it to pieces.

You can bet I added "inspect arrow head" to my mental list whenever I collect and count the arrows.

The guy in the video I watched kept up his practice for a month. I figure I'm going to keep this up as long as I'm spending my days at home. Hopefully, I'll have even more progress to report next time I post.

No comments:

Post a Comment