Saturday, August 29, 2020

Happy Bday, Love!

Carrie wasn't pro-Birthday this year. She said something about "I've never really liked my birthday."

So I went right to the blog to say, "Look! We did this! And this! And...ok, that year was basic, but what about this!"

The day of Carrie's birthday this year was a rainy, muddy mess. She had been scheduled to attend a riding clinic, but they pushed back the start time. To Carrie's amazement, they didn't cancel. She and Micayla opted not to go. That led to a lost deposit and lots of grumbles.

Sunday made up for it. It was a downright party at the barn!


Laura and Amy came to do morning chores, but they brought cupcakes! Barbara and Heidi came too and it was a horse lover's party.


Shane and I came down after an hour of adult time. He brought his normal level of energy.


He revved Loki up to wild levels and got a bruise from the roughhousing. I wish I could say I was surprised.


However, I want to give Shane a quick shout out for discovering a new kitten game. He calls it "Sonar."

The game is simple: Shane takes a small rock and gently throws it. The kittens hear the sound and pounce! 


They're showing good hunting skills. I missed a fantastic video of Aria doing a mid-air take-down of a locust. I hope they move on to mice soon....

It didn't take long for Shane to notice Mommy's cupcakes.


Or Tsuki!


Amy was really kind to make them and she was even kinder to listen to Shane talk about "tick worms." That's a leech in Shane-speak. He watched a video with Carrie on YouTube and was a fountain of facts.


Amy pulled the video up on her phone and they watched it together! Shane and Laura have both worked with leeches and maggots at the hospital. 


Amy entertained Shane while Laura focused on Ernie. He lost a rear shoe.


He got a duct tape temporary one (Is there anything duct tape can't do!?).


Heidi and Laura went for a walk with Eddie and Ernie and Barbara took Maddie for a short spin while everyone talked. It was just a fun time.


Ellie arrived as people were leaving to take care of Magic. He showed up lame for breakfast on Friday. The ladies think it's an abscess that needs to work itself out. He's got some love and Epsom salt baths. 


He was, also, the recipient of a duct tape shoe (but pink!).


Magic pulled a trick on me later in the afternoon. Carrie and Ellie had him on stall rest. I went down to refill his hay and check water. I closed the stall door, but I didn't clip it. I honestly held the clip in my hand and thought, "Nah. This will take a second and he's resting."

A second was all Magic needed.

I heard the door and he was in the aisle as I turned.

He got an opportunity to sniff around as I called Carrie for backup (Flip flops and an unwilling horse aren't a great combo).


Magic's tour of the grounds was brief. He was back in his stall with new hay with only a minor fuss.


For him, it was a bit of fun.

For me, it was a good humbling moment and reminder that little things are important!

For Carrie, it made it added a little more excitement to make the birthday weekend less routine.

For Shane.....well, the kid had no clue at first. When he did see Magic on the security camera and thought to tell Carrie! I was already on the phone with her, but it was a good reaction.

Happy Birthday to Carrie! Sorry we couldn't go to Busch Gardens or do something fancy, but maybe next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment