Tuesday, April 26, 2022

iTalki

Megan thought it was great. 

That was enough for me to try it with Shane.

Shane thought it was great.

That was enough for me to try it myself.

While Shane and Carrie were out of town, I signed myself up for an iTalki lesson. 


iTalki is a way to meet and chat online with people who speak different languages. Shane talks to a Japanese tutor. I wanted to speak to a Spanish tutor. 

There were a lot. 

I wasn't sure where to start, but I figured I'd prefer talking to a male. After that, I saw maybe a couple of videos before one tutor mentioned video games and "Because if you don't know what is 'casa amarilla,' the enemy in the yellow house will kill you." 

That was enough to make Miguel stand out in my memory. It was only $5 an hour, so I booked a lesson for Monday at 4 PM. 


School ends at 3:50 PM, so it gave me something to look forward to at the end of the day. The school's internet connection was better than at the farm, too. 

The verdict? It was fun! I'm not an insatiable extrovert like Shane, but I am social. Spending an hour trying to talk in broken Spanish kept my brain active and let me talk to an adult after a day of dealing with teenagers. 

I plan to continue speaking with Miguel one day a week until summer hits. I'm going to try to really work on my Spanish over the summer. I'd love to be able to speak confidently with students (and even their families) next school year. 

Learning makes you feel like you're alive! You're only old when you decide to stop learning new things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment