Sunday, April 3, 2022

Spring Break: South Carolina!

It's hard to beat visiting family for Spring Break! Nana and Pop aren't planning to go anywhere until after Pop's kidney transplant issues are done, so we had to bring the party to them.


It started the day we arrived. Shane and Cole went to an Easter egg hunt in the dark with Kathleen before coming back to Nana's for a sleepover.


Sleepovers are one of the best things about Nana's if you ask Shane.


Pop would say, "Teasing grandkids!"


He's very good at it.


Cole's good at ignoring Pop. Meanwhile, Shane squeals enough to cover the quota for them both.


Carrie and I had a rougher night. The guestroom mattress was dead. "Matt said that he and Renee kept rolling into the middle," Nana explained.


We noticed and Carrie decided to do something about it.


I had no trouble finding the necessary tools. Pop hasn't changed his organization system since I was a kid. 


Though there would be no fixing. The box springs were 30 years old and the bed frame was barely clinging to life itself. The rails were bent and I'm fairly certain wheels aren't supposed to bend until the bracket hits the ground.


Carrie and tag teamed the disassembly. I had to move quick to be included!


Ta-dah!


We found Nana's life ladder under the bed as we worked. It's cover is etched into my memory. I remember looking at it and wondering how fun it would be like to use it as far back as kindergarten. 


I never did......so maybe I should put that on my Spring Break bucket list. "1. Use ancient fire escape ladder just because."

Carrie and I ended up running in different circles than Shane and the cousins for most of the day. Nana, Pop, Dot, Shane, and Cole all went to church while Carrie and I stayed at home for the electronic option.


Ka took Evie and Tenley on their own Easter adventures.


She said that there were a ton of kids!


Shane ended up at Ka's and "The Big Three" got together on Roblox to kick some butt.


Meanwhile, Carrie and I went on our mission to upgrade our sleeping situation. Nana handed us a credit card and said, "Fix it." The third store was the charm (and we grabbed the last frame!).


We hit one final store on the way home and Carrie bought herself a new fuzzy blanket with our money. Then it was time to assemble everything. 


We'd be sleeping better tonight!

Everyone got back together before dinner.


I didn't have to worry about work and could focus on quality time with family, but Ka was multi-tasking. She'd taken over a project in January only to find it was an impending failure unless she did something about it. She'd gotten it onto life support and was working on the rehabilitation. She was finalizing a presentation for a meeting while the kids ran around her.


The house quieted down as night fell. It was a school night for all the cousins.


Carrie revealed her snarky side and livened things up for a bit as we put Shane to bed.


Carrie and I headed up to bed ourselves to enjoy a less concave sleeping situation. I used the bathroom before bed and realized maybe an episode or two later that the toilet was still filling.


The flapper wasn't sealing properly. I shut off the water to the toilet and it started to leak from the valve.


So I put down a towel and hopped back in bed. It was vacation. There'd be plenty of time to fix the toilet in the morning since there was no school! Carrie and I were watching an odd showing about an ancient Roman bath maker time traveling and seeing modern baths. We snuggled in and called it a night.

Spring Break is great.



No comments:

Post a Comment