Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Crazy for Grass

It was looking more like Spring after Spring Break. Plants were blooming, the combines were plants, and, most important for us, the grass was growing.


Carrie decided it was time to open up the pastures. Laura and Amy had wanted to do it while we were out, but Carrie declined. She needed to fit Lilly, Eddie, and Indy with muzzles, do a field walk to look for burrows or other tripping hazards, check and repair fence lines, etc, etc.


But it was happening as I got home from work. The boys were already out as I walked to the barn. I caught the tail end of them frolicking's.

Which brings up the other reason Carrie didn't want anyone to let the horses out when she wasn't home: They go nuts.


Abby was vertical and Lilly was running full speed the moment the gate opened.

Which led to mass pandemonium in the lots, too.


When one horse goes nuts (usually Abby) the rest of the herd reciporcates.


Eowyn got impressive air for a pregnant lady.


Which caused Carrie to worry she was going to buck right into giving birth!

Everyone was on edge until the crazies got ran out. Carrie had me throw loose hay to appease the ponies in the lots once the girls out in the pasture put their heads down to the grass.

The combines probably didn't have anything to do with it. The herd has seen them all before and they don't usually react now (They still look cool to me, though!).

The nights still get cool enough we occasionally have to throw coats on. I forget exactly what happened here, but I think Laura and Amy had tied something up in a weird place or way. Carrie called me over to help. I was near the hay barn, so Mikayla got there first. When I got close enough to see they had it in hand, I stopped to take a picture, because that's what I do!


The first day was the only real crazy day. By the second day all the horses were too busy eating to do anything screwy. In fact, Ernie worried me the first night he was on grass, because he didn't eat his evening meal! He just turned around and kept staring out longingly at the pastures. Since he's collicked before, watching or signs of not eating are a big deal. I kept him in his stall for a couple of hours and he'd pooped (phew!), but remained staring out at the grass. That's just where his mind was! It didn't happen again, so all is well at the barn.

The horses being out on the pastures makes it feel like winter is truly over. Grass is fantastic for a many reasons: 1) They eat less hay (costs $$), 2) by eating less hay, I don't have to haul as many hay bales to and fro, 3) our boarders like to see their horses in pastures (it's an advertising point), and 4) the horses start poop out in the pasture where I don't have to care.

BONUS Pic: Lilly managed to get her muzzle half off. It probably tasted horrible.



No comments:

Post a Comment