Monday, December 19, 2022

Riding Lessons (The Stretch!)

Shane started riding lessons today. We met the instructor, PG, and the horse, Phoenix, as the previous lesson was ending.


Carrie's the one who wants to ensure Shane knows basic horsemanship, so why was I the one at the lesson? I can handle the cold and Shane goofing off better than she can. Plus, I like to leave the house (though normally when it's not so cold!).


PG had Shane do the prep work under her supervision. He brushed, helped with the saddle, and fixed his half-chaps (he had the zippers on the inside where they would've scratched the gear!).


I tried to hang back. Shane talks more than enough for the two of us, and I wanted him to interact with PG.


We tried to start riding lessons at this same barn about a year ago. Nana and Pop went with us to the lesson! Carrie wanted to turn it into a regular thing, but the barn's communication lines were poor and it fell through.

I remembered the layout, though. I went up to the picnic tables while Shane and PG went into the arena.


I took A LOT of pictures.


Carrie didn't want to be in the cold, but she did want to see how Shane was doing!


PG gave Shane the option to walk back or ride. He chose to ride!


The chatter never stopped!


The riding portion of the lesson was around half an hour. The beginning and end were all about horse care and gear.


I would've liked a longer riding portion, but Shane knowing how to tack up will make Shane more useful if Carrie ever asks him to exercise a horse.


It's not something I know how to do well.

PG gave Shane a treat for Phoenix after it was all said and done. Shane was too worried that he was going to lose a finger and asked PG to give it to Phoenix instead!

I have tons of video that Carrie perused after we got home. I didn't post any here, but I may do a before and after at some point (not that I'm qualified to judge riding skill). Carrie's motivated and scheduling the lessons. She seems determined to make it a regular Saturday occurrence. I have no objections until Spring Soccer hits, so I'm happy to help keep him busy until then. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that Shane is learning to ride and care for a horse. I loved going on trail rides when I was his age. Love, Nana

    ReplyDelete