Monday, December 5, 2022

Solo Week: Keeping Busy (The Stretch!)

Carrie and Shane were gone, but I kept busy.

To be honest, I like having stuff to do. I want quiet, down-time to rest after working, but too much of it and not enough work drives me crazy. I used to be able to play all day when I was younger and thought being entertained was part of the recipe for a life well-lived. Now, I've learned that having meaningful work like teaching or taking care of my family mean much more to me.

I sent my alarm to get up early each morning to take care of the animals. I wanted Kila to have time to run around outside while I did barn chores, because she was going to be locked up most of the day. Carrie hired a woman to come over and let her out once midday, but with wrestling I was still gone from 8 AM - 6:30 PM each day.

With Shane gone, I took over cat litter pot duties. He's helpful, that's for sure. I felt it with him out of town! I found myself taking care of the bunnies for the first time, as well. Then there were Shane's fish. The water levels were low, so I Googled some basic tank care to make sure they didn't all die before he got back.

I did this all in a house set to 60° or 62°. Why? I wanted to save enough money on heating to pay off my new thermal socks.

No one else was around to complain, so I figured, "Why not?" Sadly, the socks are too bulky to fit in my work boots. I couldn't wear them outside where it was really cold!

Carrie kept sending me pictures of tropical places they were at and beautiful plates of food they were eating. I sent her back a picture of a frozen pizza.

I only cooked a "real meal" for myself once: Rice and gyoza (It's become my customary bachelor's meal when they're away).

At work, I was participating in a Secret Snowy gift exchange. That'll get it's own post later.


I did some school work at home, but I spent more time thinking about wrestling. I've been much more involved this year than last. Instead of leaving at 5 PM daily, I leave at 6 PM. It feels like I've been the one providing most of the energy and running the instruction this year. That's spurred me on to being even more invested.

Socially, work has been my main outlet. It's already dark when I get home, so I didn't see any of the barn people during the work week. Coach Flood came over one night after practice. We watched an old Disney movie, Heavyweights, and talked shop. Bill's texted me and, instead of writing, I've played an hour or two of games most nights with him. On my own, I wasn't sure of what to watch or do. I watched an episode on Disney+ about US Customs and Border Patrol which was neat, but the dogs and everything else took up most of my time!

Having the family away for a week is a great way to remind me of how much I prefer for them to be around! The occasional day off is nice, but I need/want it far less than I would imagine. I know they're off making memories, so I'm happy I was able to provide the opportunity. I love you, Carrie and Shane! I hope you miss me as much as I miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment