Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Valentine's Day (Summer)

I was a big spender for Valentine's Day: I asked for a Kindle.

I made a spreadsheet of my personal entertainment expenditures for last year. I'm sure I missed some incidental purchases, but I combed through all my online receipts/accounts to total everything up. The exact number spent is on my work computer, but I remember it was under $600 (and the monthly average was around $47 or $48, I think). 

There were three big categories: Video Games, Board Games, and Audiobooks. Where do you think I spent the most?

Audiobooks is correct.

When unencumbered, I'd prefer to read a story, but audiobooks let me listen while working and driving. Plus, I can share them with Shane. I used to read aloud when Shane was younger, but it turns out professionals are much better at it than I am.

I still like reading, though. It's fun and it helps with writing. I used to read before going to bed. Sometimes, it got me in trouble because I'd stay up too late (One more chapter!). Nowadays, Carrie tends to fall asleep before me, so the lights are off. I can read with my phone's flashlight or even on my phone, but it's not ideal.

I'm hoping a Kindle will make reading more accessible for me again. Patrick loves his Kindle. I should be able to read it in bed whether the lights are on or off and have access to my online library....which led to me buying a few books.

I'm less than two months into 2023 and I've already outpaced my entertainment spending for last year. Whoops. I'll need to cut back in other areas.

BONUS: I spent more on Shane doing sports last year than my own entertainment fund. Volleyball, Soccer (SOKs and SOCA), and the summer Scottsville Pool membership! I enjoy watching him play and it makes me feel like a good father to keep him active, so there's an argument that all that could count towards my entertainment fund. Now I'll have a kindle to take with me if I want to read at his practices, heh.


2 comments:

  1. We get audiobooks free with our library cards through Hoopla and Libby. You are welcome to use my library card number and password to get them, too. I only listen to one or two a month, but I love them. The selection is up-to-date and huge. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my libraries and use my account, but I don't mind supporting authors, either. I tend to buy books on sale or with credits because I want to be careful with my money, but if no one bought any books at all the authors wouldn't be able to eat. I definitely go through more than one a month!

      Delete