Monday, August 24, 2015

Hello, Mold

Emily broke her usual silence with a text. She spotted mold in the basement. I went down to investigate. She was right.


Emily is out of town, so we have a couple of weeks to take care of it. Everything online says the effected dry wall is toast.


I know how it started, too. A month ago, Emily messaged to say her door wouldn't shut. I investigated and found the door sweep was messed up. When I removed it, the door shut easily.

However, the door became "out of sight, out of mind." Carrie and I avoid the back door to give Emily privacy. I can count on one hand the number of times I've used it or even seen what that half of my basement looks like.

It came back to bite us this time. I should have replaced the door sweep. It left a gap which let in hot air, humidity, and some crickets. I walked face first into a wave of heat and humidity when I opened the door from Emily's room into the rear entry hall.


A trip to Lowe's fixed the door sweep. No tools required. There's a good moral lesson to be learned here. "Overlook a small problem and it can multiply!" Replace 'small problem' with sin.

For now, we are collecting quotes. I may buy a mask and goggles and rip out the drywall myself if the prices are too high.

No comments:

Post a Comment