Wednesday, August 5, 2015

New Teacher Orientation Week

Somehow, I think the teenage Mike would not have ever suspected I'd write this.


It felt disjointed moving to a new area without any kind of work. I look forward to learning the lay of the land.

First, I need to finish teacher orientation. I haven't been through one in a while. Some old habits have resurfaced. 


There were exactly seven dots on each side of the squares pressed into the napkin. It was need to know. Not all of the dots were visible to fill.

I can listen while I doodle.

The bus tour of all the city schools was neat, though, a brilliant touch. The admin team seemed really passionate about the city and like the kind of people I want to work for. One's name was Vernon. That earned him a few bonus points from the get go. I was more impressed when the other guide, Eric, mentioned my new school. He spoke well of it, too. It felt like the alternative programs sometimes got swept under the rug in Fairfax. It doesn't look like that's the case here.

Still, I could do without some of the the training. I drew a crappy race car and a traffic light on a road backdrop while the trainer taught everyone how to draw a box and a circle in Google Drawings. Most of the new teachers weren't familiar with Google Drive. I already updated all of my LOTR logs on my personal Drive, so I tried to look attentive. I played tech support at my table and amused myself in other ways. It's just one of those things to cross off the list.

Next week, I'll get to go to my actual school. I look more forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment