Monday, August 31, 2015

How's Work?

My new job is like my old job, but different.

Definitely, different.

For starters, there's less of everything. Some good, some bad. There are less students in class and on my caseload, less teachers, less square foot in the school building, less classes, less paperwork, less months a course runs, and (student-wise) less inhibitions.

It would have been a much larger culture shock if I'd come directly from my old middle school. The switch to a blocked high school last year was clearly in God's plan.

There's still a lot to learn. The language is the same, but different. It's mostly innocuous, but I want to avoid a ride/lift flub. Team taught is now collaborative. General ed is Academic. And so on and so forth. All of the paperwork I memorized is a thing of the past, as well. You don't realize how accustomed you are to a certain system until it no longer exists.

So far, it's felt like an easy start. The workload feels less. The potential for stormy weather is very clear, though. I am still in a honeymoon period.

I do like it. I liked to work with the same kind of students when I first started my career at the ALC. My coworkers are dedicated and talented and I pray we'll make a difference.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you like your job. It is a very important one. I really struggled as a student. If a teacher had encouraged me or believed in me, maybe I would have felt more capable of learning. I gave up in math years before I should have --- just didn't think it was possible for me to understand it. That seems sad to me now. Keep trying to give your students hope so they don't give up too soon and then always wonder if they would have gotten it if they'd tried harder. We are so proud of you!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete