Friday, April 20, 2018

Make-Up Game

Shane's game was rescheduled for Friday. Raheem wanted to go.

"Are you sure? I mean, I care because I'm a dad, but it's 7 year olds playing baseball. It's not that exciting," I said.

Rah really wanted to go.

I had him check with his mom and then told him to hop in. We picked up Shane from after school. 


Shane put his shirt and hat on in the car as we cruised over. We played against the orange team.


Rah wanted to go on the field and help out, but he'd have been a ringer at 10.


I noticed the coach was on his own, so I offered to help out.


I found myself in the outfield for the first inning. Shane was thrilled to be pitcher again.


Rah got my chair.


I transitioned to 'Dugout Dad' next. One kid was twirling in circles trying to read the number off the back of his shirt. He didn't believe me when I told him it was a '9,' so I took a picture.


More help arrived as the game went on. I stayed in the dugout the next time the kids hit the field.


That let me talk to Rah some. He asked me questions about the rules through the fence. He really wanted to come into the dugout, too, but it's supposed to be for the team only. He wanted to climb up the fence, but the last thing the players needed was a new idea about how to goof off in there.

Rah talked and explored around a little whenever it was our turn to bat. I was too busy to talk.


By working the dugout I talked some with the Coach's wife. She'd found Shane's glove after the first practice! It was in her car, but we could grab it on Sunday. Phew! I don't mind helping, but I felt a little harried trying to support the team and keep Rah in mind.

After the game ended, Shane sat down to eat his snack and look down a storm drain. Rah borrowed his glove and wanted to play catch with me. I played for a while (Without my glove, sadly).

We got home around 7:40 PM. Shane had a decent game and Raheem got to do something he normally wouldn't get a chance to. A successful night!

No comments:

Post a Comment