Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Childless in Charlottesville

With Shane out of town, Carrie and I got to do some date type things. We went to see Black Widow at the Alamo on Monday.


Grandma has a 6th sense and likes to call when we're there.

We enjoyed the movie, but it was far from the MCU's best. The interpersonal interactions made the movie while the action sequences felt like the lowpoint. If not for the spoiler filled post-credits scene, I think the movie should have been released prior to Endgame. When Shane's old enough, we'll probably show him the movie after Civil War and YouTube the final scene after he sees Endgame.

Carrie's been longing for a good bowl of pho for a while. We walked from the Alamo to Chimm's, but it was closed! We picked the one day of the week they shut their doors.

However, there was an alternative. John McM had mentioned how cool the new Dairy Market was the last time we got the boys together. They had a Chimm's there, too. 


There was some construction in the area back when when I worked at LMA, but a lot's happened since. A lot.


The Dairy Market was an upscale food court.


Carrie got her pho and was ecstatic. It was just as good as she'd remembered!


We got ice cream from Moo Thru for dessert, because why not? It used to be only a Hwy 29 treat.


Errands on Wednesday were the next big date. Most people wouldn't think of that as fun, but I like moving around and going places (Especially with Carrie!). I downloaded some Audiobooks to subject....er, broaden Carrie's literary horizons with.

We tried to go by the Dairy Market again, but the parking lot was full with multiple cars circling for someone to leave. Carrie was upset, but it led us to a new spot.


For years, I've teased Carrie about "Let's go there!" I'm more fond of buffet sushi that she is ("Quantity can be a quality of it's own!" -Me*), and I'd never been. Carrie had and thought it was lackluster. 

She agreed today, though. It took me by surprise....much like the Monkey Roll surprised her! Carrie loved it. She'd never had fried banana in a sushi roll.


Carrie said the restaurant had changed considerably since she'd visited. "It has been 6 years and a pandemic.." she said.

I'd give it 4.5 out of 5 for what it is. Buffet sushi tends to have more rice to be more filling with less filling! I've eaten much better sushi, but what we got for what we paid was awesome. 

Except for the philly rolls. I swear the chef must have laughed when I ordered those. There were solid chunks of cream cheese.


"Ha, ha! It's all you can eat, but let's see how much you can eat after eating half a bar of cream cheese, ha ha! And don't forget the waste fee if you don't finish, ho ho!"

I skipped dinner.

Carrie went on a few riding trips to a friend's farm, as well. It's the most I've seen her leave the house in a long time!

I did my own solo trip when I recruited Scott for Trivia on Tuesday night. We won! It was only our second night back out! Too bad the victory picture was blurry.


It was a close win! Everyone's contribution was critical. Scott knew what a dromedary vs a Bactrian camel was, Fabrice had heard of OPI from a random YouTube video, I recognized Air Bud, and John handled music. Scott and John already knew, but Fabrice and I learned that graham crackers were invented to help remove impure thoughts. We, also, learned we should tag any unidentified rap song as Fetty Wap's Trap Queen (It's shown up and stumped us two trivia nights in a row!).

Other than that, we've spent a lot of time at home. I discovered a new series on Netflix that was a huge hit with Carrie.


It's amazing how close to a disaster some of our favorite movies were behind the scenes. We've learned about Home Alone's near cancellation, Ghostbusters nearly being Ghostbreakers, the two different Marty McFly's in Back to the Future, and how Jurassic Park pioneered CGI in movies due to a stubborn programmer who disobeyed his boss. Carrie's seen more than me (It's what she does).

No comments:

Post a Comment