Friday, February 18, 2022

Nana and Pop Visit!

Friday was a blessed teacher workday. The County deciding to add more of them to the schedule to prevent burnout was a terrific call.

Shane was facing a different kind of burn out of his private. I took him to an doctor's appointment at the same time I had a zoom staff meeting scheduled. 


Why would Shane look so happy to be in a doctor's office, you ask?


Because we were meeting Nana and Pop right after (Frankly, I think he likes having people fuss over him, too, whether they're family or doctors)!


Nana and Pop were on something of a "Holdover Tour." Pop's waiting to get a kidney transplant and once that happens they won't be able to travel far. "This will be our last trip to Virginia for about 14 months," Nana said.

Nana and Pop started the visit in Northern VA to see Jama and Matt and Renee's crew. We were the next stop. After lunch at Panera, they came by the farm!


Sure, they wanted to see us, but Nana had an ulterior motive. She wanted to meet her 'grandbunny.'


Nana had seen the pictures online and "Tim won't let me have a bunny," so she has to live vicariously through our exploits (Nana keeps telling me I must be "nicer" to allow all the animals, but having a choice on the matter feels like news to me...).


The ladies hung out with Hopkins. Us, men, went off on our own.


Pop strolled around the house to meet the cats and look at the barn while we talked.


Shane came out of the bunny room and joined us after a little bit.


And at some point he ditched his shirt.


And picked up a pair of nunchuks.


Maybe he wanted to feel manlier around Pop and I. 

Shane was happy to show off his fish. I was surprised when Pop recognized zebra danios and could name them. Apparently, there was a fish tank in his house growing up, too!

I think Shane was the most proud to show off Deep Rock Galactic. Yes, it's a video game, but there are a fair number of moving parts. You have to protect yourself while exploring and completing objectives. Shane's no prodigy, but he plays well enough I think at 11 it's impressive.


Nana eventually came out of the bunny room refreshed. She said it was a zen like experience. Then we handed her Shane's antiobiotics.


Nana and Pop invited Shane to spend the night with them at their hotel. Carrie said, "No swimming. No sugar. No fruits like apples or bananas that are high in sugar," etc. That put a small damper on things, but Shane was still excited. He couldn't pack up fast enough.


He ran faster than Loki to the van! I think it was the longest Nana and Pop have stayed at our house. I enjoyed having them over.


Nana made the mistake of doing a group text to Carrie and I after they drove off. She wanted Carrie to send her some pictures of her and Sir Hopkins. I was quicker to respond.


I could not stop laughing. I'm laughing right now as I look at it! Loki barked then and he's eyeing me now (He has a "snark detector"). If Nana was really mad, she wouldn't have censored herself.

Carrie sent the real pictures shortly after.


Maybe Sir Hopkins would want to go on a road trip and visit SC with us the next time we go...

Nana and Pop drove up to Patrick and Shelby's next. They wanted to see Nathaniel! Patrick parked Shane on his computer playing, you guessed it, Deep Rock Galactic, and that let the adults all talk.

Nana, Pop, and Shane went to the hotel afterward.

Nana sent me a picture of the moon before going they went to bed.


Carrie and I spent our date night eating Chinese food and watching the Book of Boba Fett. She filled up and passed out early on the couch! I finished the last episode (and found it disappointing) as she slept before going out for PM horse chores (and then I hopped on DRG myself with Bill).

I got another shirtless pick of Shane in the morning. He was playing mahjong with Pop.


I spent most of the morning working on cleaning up the barn from the week. Then I hopped into the car and headed up to Staunton to see everyone. They were finishing up lunch at Kathy's when I arrived.

Shane was mesmerized by "Pink Tablet." I joked that Pink Tablet was what he was going to remember most from the visit!

Nathaniel's been an easier-keeper so far from what I heard. It was scarier around the delivery, so maybe he got some of the causing trouble gene out of his system for a while (It always comes back again later!). 


Nana got a picture of all the big boys before we left.


Shane was happy to ham it up until I tried to take a picture of him.


We went to Patrick and Shelby's next.


Nathaniel's clearly fond of Shelby. He turns to look at her whenever she speaks.


But Patrick was no slouch when it came to dealing with the dirty work. The stereotypical jokes about dads not doing much with their kids doesn't apply so much to our family!


I say this while I sat on my butt and talked the whole time. Shane had a Switch and I was happy to let him veg.


Hanging out (and photobombing) is an art form. I feel like I've been out of practice.


A common comment about Nathaniel was how well he's growing. Nana and Pop had a chance to hold baby Harper a few days before and Nathaniel tips the scales at "much heavier!"


It was my first time seeing him awake.


I got a chance to take a picture showing his eyes. He's a cute kid. 


My kid's eyes stayed glued to the Switch. I think he was happy to be in a room full of people, at least.


Patrick and I were talking books before we said our goodbyes. 


Then it was Costco and home. Carrie showed Shane how to dip strawberries to give the day a sweet ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment