Monday, May 16, 2022

Dylan's Family's Super (Spreading?) Cookout

Dylan's Dad moved! Shane and I went to the new house for the first time after church on Sunday.


John and Kelly were hosting a cookout. It had started with us, but then they invited their new neighbors and one of Kelly's old work friends.

Spur of the moment, I dropped by Mark's brewery on the way north and grabbed a couple of housewarming gifts for John (I was lucky they were even open!).


Shane was excited to be around kids. I was excited that they weren't all on electronic devices when we arrived!


Not that it lasted. Pretty soon all of the kids were on something. I was talking to John when Shane stormed up the steps and plopped in a chair all pitiful like. He clearly wanted attention, but since he didn't say anything, I didn't say anything. 


He laid there a long while before someone asked something and "They're all ignoring me and addicted to electronics!" came out.

A short talk later and Shane was back downstairs, drooling, and addicted like the rest of them. 

John made burgers and we made them all come up to eat before anyone got too hangry.


The kids were maybe outside 10 minutes before they were all downstairs on video games again.


I would've kicked them off, but it wasn't my house. John was cooking and I was happy to hang around to help carry trays or whatever made things easier.


The guests arrived and I put away my camera. Since I didn't know the new neighbors, I didn't think it'd be a good idea to by too photo happy. I talked a little bit, but they all went off with Kelly on the porch. I hung in the AC and near the grill talking to John. 

We were there for a total of four hours. I was all social-ed out. Shane would've happily stayed longer. There were severe storm warnings, so I used that as our excuse to leave. 

Unfortunately, the new house is further away from the farm. John and Kelly had put in a bid on a house in Scottsville, but someone else offered cash.

We'll still make the trip every now and then. I think it's good for both Shane and Dylan to have a childhood friend. They may grow apart as they get older, but knowing they were worth being friends with for somebody despite moves, divorces and distance is good for their self-confidence. They'll both go to the same middle school next year despite the distance. Maybe they'll be in some of the same classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment