Wednesday, May 18, 2022

The School Update

I am counting the days.

DAYS.

My SOL is coming up soon. May 20th to be exact. Less than half the kids are taking it and it feels like less than half of those are showing any motivation right now. 

I used a new texting program to text home that I was running SOL review sessions online at 7 PM twice a week. I averaged one student a night. Some of my freshman have 3 SOLs this week, so that doesn't help. 

One student I think has a good chance to pass if they work has SOLs on Monday, Wednesday, and then mine on Friday. Their SOLs are scheduled for the same times as my class, so I won't see them to review in class all week!

The kids are burned out and I'm burned out, too.

With many kids taking tests and other kids playing hooky, it's a hodge-podge of attendance. It makes it hard to generate momentum, but at least we're almost to the end. I have my evaluation meeting tomorrow and there are three weeks of school remaining after the SOL.

I'm not 100% sure what to do after said SOL. Shane's school will have activities like field day, but those don't exist at my level right now. Many kids will stay home, but some of the kids who only come to school for social reasons will still be here and running wild. I plan on taking a sick/mental-health day after the day I signed up to help proctor SOLs. Maybe two.

Anyway, the end is almost here. I want to finish the year and feel like I did my best with a weird year and was true to my calling. 

Just a little longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment