Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Tooth Removal

It took forever, but we finally managed to get to the dentist! Shane pulled out "the tooth that never should have still been in there," but there was it's twin on the other side. Between COVID and a reschedule it took nearly two months to sit in the chair!

Shane started off the trip anxious. He went from fine to "Oh crap, he's getting into his own head really badly." I played it calm and deadpan at first and thought it still might go okay until he tried to grab the needle out of the dentist's hand.


Yes, you heard that right. Shane went through the initial numbing and everything fine, but when the dentist sat down to give him the tooth numbing shot Shane panicked. He reached up and grabbed the dentist's hand and luckily didn't prick himself on the needle (The dentist said he'd have been forced to go to a doctor if he broke his skin...).

I got up to the table and talked him down. "Aren't you going to let them give you the medicine?" I asked.

"It's not a shot?" Shane cried. "You're not going to give me a shot?"

I don't remember my exact reply, but it was definitely borderline truthful. Still, it did the trick. Shane didn't even notice the shots. 

The tooth came out without any fuss. The dentist said it was clearly ready.

And Shane danced out the door like nothing happened at all (and I'm being literal when I say "dancing!") He was so happy!

I told Shane he did a B job. It would've been an A if not for the grabbing at the needle....and it would've easily become a D or an F on if he'd actually managed to get his hands on the needle itself.

The kid seemed unfazed, though. Maybe next time, I'll ask them to gas him just so I don't have to talk him down!

No comments:

Post a Comment