Tuesday, May 23, 2023

SOL Motivational Bet (Summer)

One of my students wanted to braid my hair. I eventually agreed to allow it if she Pass Advanced the SOL. It was easily doable for her and she did! I picked the following week to pay up. 


June dropped by during Mustang Morning. That was before 1st Period this year, and a few other students were around to laugh and wonder and what was going on.


I got to spend the day with "cat ear braids." June had tried to modify them into dog ear braids since she knew I was a dog person, but it didn't work out perfectly. She knew what she was doing by the time she was done and several of her friends got perfected renditions of the hairstyle at lunch.


Of course, I sent a picture to Carrie! She was so amazed she was rendered speechless.

Taking them out was a pain! I waited until after all my classes, because I don't renege on a bet. 


I didn't tell June, but I resorted to scissors.


I wasn't worried. I had more than enough hair to spare!

My SOL scores were ok this year. I had 5 out of the top 6 scores and the only 3 students with a Pass Advanced were from my classes. My average scores were the highest, but I didn't have the highest total pass rate, though (That's always my goal!). My students who did score well enough for a retake mostly flaked out. Most didn't need to pass the SOL and knew it so they blew it off. I had several kids who'd skipped most of the year show up just to bomb the test, too! It was close, though, so I'm fine with the scores even if I'm not thrilled.  

Last year, it felt like a success to survive. This year, felt like a success. There's always a lot more going on than just SOL scores. I felt like I got in more material, things ran smoother, I made up a CS2 curriculum out of my ***, and kids made connections both academically and socially.

With the advent of the SOLs, the final weeks of school have become about goodbyes, childcare, and last ditch efforts to fix grades. Summer is near!

No comments:

Post a Comment