Tuesday, June 25, 2013

DayCare Blues

It was a bright and happy morning at first. Shane slept in, he ate some peanut butter crackers, and wanted to go outside to find the basketball.

Then Shane saw me stick a blanket in his backpack.

He started crying. "I NOT go play! I NOT!"

Clever boy. I learned weeks ago a stray word could clue him in. I'm going to have to be more careful with his diaper bag now, too.

In the beginning, Shane liked daycare. Somewhere along the way, he decided he would rather be waited upon hand and foot by Genevieve or Nana and Pop. He didn't want any pesky sharing toys or the spotlight. 

So now Shane cries whenever he realizes he's going to daycare. 

"It will be fun! Let's go see your friends!" Carrie and I try to be positive.

"I NO want to see friends! I NOT FRIENDS!" Sometimes the tears are more silent, but it rends at you anyway.

The reality is: Carrie is going to be a working mom. That means Shane will need daycare. Carrie and I decided to keep him going twice a week over the summer to help accustom Shane to it and prevent a transition period. He normally seems fine when I pick him up (even if he's in a hurry to go to Subway). Sure, there is some whining, but Shane's learned to whine recently. 

Anyway, I did not want my son's sacrifice to be in vain. Shane went to daycare; I went to lawncare. I lathered on some sunscreen and I spent the next couple of hours mowing and weeding. I took a shower, ate some breakfast, and caught up some on my blog (you're reading it!). There's still plenty of dishes, laundry and other chores to do. 

I'll take a break later, but as long as Shane's at daycare and Carrie's at work I have a chance to make a big dent in the workload.

No comments:

Post a Comment