Friday, March 2, 2018

Wind Storm - School Cancelled Day

7:15 AM - My boss sent out a warning.

Which was a good thing, because at 7:23 AM a two-hour delay for school was announced. Multiple schools were without power. Thousands of houses in our area were the same (Ours blinked but came back on. We were lucky).

My boss' warning kept me inside. Other people without a warning were probably at bus stops and not happy. I know several teachers who'd already started their long drive in.

An hour later, school was cancelled. The schools had to send out an apology for their lack of advance notice.

Meanwhile, the weather was nice and there was suddenly a lot of time. On a snow day, there's a motive to stay inside but a surprise spring day?

We ended up surprisingly busy. First, a new season of Voltron: Legendary Defender was released. We all watched an episode before going our separate ways. Shane and I ran an errand to Dover Saddlery and then meet Mommy at the barn for a vet call.


Carrie picked up a rescue horse, Shining Armor, while Captain is lame and recovering at a friend's barn. The vet was checking everyone out.

Nibs whinnied when she saw us. I don't know if it was because she recognized us or because she likes company.


She followed me along the fence line wherever I walked. I would have pet her more, but I'm allergic.


Her field was a mud-tastrophe. Carrie's looking forward to her getting rotated to greener pastures.


Shane was interested for a hot second and then wanted to scare chickens.


We didn't stay for the vet exams. A wild boy and sedated horses don't mix.

I took Shane by Dick's Sporting Goods on the way home. We needed soccer gear after the swap was a bust. Shane was more interested in pool toys and playing around.


Which we did. We had all the time in the world.


Anywhere is a playground if you put your mind to it (and no employees complain).


Raheem knocked on the door when we got home. I sent Shane out to play.


Henry heard the noise and came out, too!


I texted Shane's friend Sam about going to the wrestling party on Sunday. Normally, Ryan would go since his brothers wrestle. He was unavailable, so I wanted a friend to bounce around with Shane.

"Would you like to go to Jump at 3:00 Sunday?" has a very different meaning than "Would you like to go to Jump at 3:00?" I didn't proofread my text (Raheem kept trying to tackle me and Shane was riding his bike the opposite direction) and left off the very important word, "Sunday."

When I got a "Sure! We'll bring him right over!" I realized my mistake. It wasn't like we were doing anything else, though, so I shrugged and made sure they had our address.

Sam, Raheem, and Shane all ran around the circle for a while. Raheem said his step-dad, Louis, was picking him up at 3:00 PM, so I wanted to keep the boys out until around then so he wouldn't feel left behind.


Note: Sam was very shaky on driving the car. He got nervous whenever Shane wanted to "go turbo." Shane's clearly more used to rough play.


Appa came out and it was a party.


I tried to encourage Sam to pet Appa, but Appa's extreme eagerness to see everyone scared him too much.


Rah enjoys being the big kid on the block. He offered piggy-back rides at one point. Shane took the first turn and almost choked him out.


Rah was still willing to give Shane a turn afterward.


Then it devolved into wrestling.


I 'supervised' (See the shadow?).


I left with Shane and Sam at 3 PM. Sam got introduced to Hank the Cowdog on the drive up.

Where's Waldo pic: Find Shane and Sam.


The boys were funny at Jump, because they only stuck together about a third of the time.


Sam lived for dodgeball.


Shane tried it out in the beginning...


...but his heart laid in bouncing around and the Ninja Warrior course.


Which I totally get. I love a good obstacle course. I was tempted to run it myself!


Sam came looking for Shane and tried the course. He didn't like it as much.


Both boys wanted to stare at the video games. "Not while you're on the clock. Get!" I said. I made Shane go with Sam to bounce around, but they split up again after a little bit. Sam went to dodgeball. Shane went to climb.

We got home around 5 PM. Shane wanted to show Sam Voltron.


Sam's dad picked him up at 5:30 PM. Carrie, Shane, and I ate dinner and watched more Voltron after he left!

It turned out to be a very active day.

No comments:

Post a Comment