Saturday, December 15, 2018

Getting Back in the TKD Groove

Rainy day? No more soccer or scheduled Saturday sports?

No problem.


We've missed a few weeks of taekwondo, so it was time to get back in the groove, anyway.


It was a sparring day. Shane's not really got the hang of it (to my mind), but it gets him running around and that's great.


The instructor sparred with Shane at the very end when he didn't have a partner.


He laughed and faked a fall at the end as he blew the whistle. Have I mentioned I really like the attitudes of the teachers at Shane's dojang?


Shane's not very good at sitting quietly on the sidelines.


I was surprised to see him actively in conversation with an older student.


He came home and told Mom that he was speaking to a girl. That got an eyebrow raised!

There was a belt promotion ceremony and holiday part Saturday night, as well! I was planning on taking Shane to it if we didn't find a play date, so when he asked I gave the thumbs up. 

We timed our arrival to miss the belt ceremony. Shane was the only kid running around not in uniform (oops).


He was happy to see all of the kids! Duncan is one of the kids he always mentions as having fun with.


I was mad at the sneak, because he snuck into the gift exchange. Before we left, I asked him to find a gift we could wrap. He didn't, so on the way in I told him that he was not to participate.

Guess what he did?


They were one gift short at the end. The instructor gave the kid without a gift a bunch of candy that was probably worth more than the gift itself. When I realized what happened, made it through the crowd, and got Shane's attention the situation was already resolved. I had some stern words and told Shane we were not going to keep the gift (UPDATE: It was a mini-game table from a dollar store. I kept it wrapped and had Shane give it to Henry to be a blessing to others. Shane asked if I was going to pay him what the gift was worth and I replied, "What do you mean? YOU owe something for the gift. Why would you get paid?")

There were a few group games to end the night. The first was team snowman building.


The second was a pinata...


 ...that the first kid up axe-kicked and broke the string!


Master Instructor Kang ended up walking around throwing candy while the children swarmed. It was really funny to watch.


Duncan got upset, because Shane sat on him while everyone was scrambling for candy. He told Shane so, but Shane, oblivious, said, "We should have a play-date so you can sit on me next time!" How's that for awkward?

No comments:

Post a Comment