Monday, December 17, 2018

Shane Wrestling Update

Shane told me that his new wrestling shoes were too big a week after he tried them out and gave the thumbs up. 

Go figure.

I said something like, "You need to be able to tell me the truth, so that we can deal with any problems. Especially if they affect you! You're going to have to grow into them!"


I had to admit to learning my own lesson: I need to plan to bring a change of clothes for Shane in the morning. It's like a sauna in the room and he was the only kid running around in pants and long sleeves! There's not time for me to go home after my practice, so if I don't remember in the morning it makes for a hotter evening for Shane.


Shane complained some, but I doubted he'd remember to plan ahead next time.


But I remembered. I brought Shane shorts and a t-shirt. The awkward part was when I made him tuck in his shirt and realized he wasn't wearing any underwear (The discussions you never thought you'd have to have....).


So far, I'd say Shane's attitude has improved this year. He's generally having fun, trying stuff, and mainly on task. He thinks some of the coaches are a little tough and wishes they didn't mind him rolling on his back when everyone is sitting and listening.


His skills seem to have taken a step back. I practiced breakdowns (specifically, a tight-waste-far-ankle) and switches with him last year. This year, he can't seem to remember how to properly assume the top position on the mat.


The HS coach works with CWC and came over to me laughing. "Shane said you work with him at home all the time!"

I wish. Shane hasn't shown that level of enthusiasm and I don't want to burn him out on wrestling. I want it to be fun for him. I'd offer more, but Carrie is anti-noise and Shane's not asking.

So far, it seems like Shane is having fun, though. He likes Ryan and Hayden, so he knows people on the team and isn't too whiny about going. I'm hoping going twice a week will help him get better, have fun, and be invested quicker than once a week would.

I probably need to take him to some matches, but none have been in the area or coincided with our schedule so far. I'm a little nervous about taking him unless he shows some improvement, but there's really only one way to learn what your made of.

No comments:

Post a Comment