Friday, November 29, 2019

Black Friday Barn Busting

The pole barn has come a long way from this.


It was nearly finished on Wednesday. The crew came back today for the last bits. Carrie and I had our own part in the project to get ready for our first major hay delivery.

We cut weed sheet and laid it down where the hay would go.


Carrie backed the trailer up when we were done and we unloaded pallets.


We were ready for hay by midday.


Which is when the hay arrived.


Have you ever ordered over $1,000 in hay? Now I can say I have.

Looked like fun to throw the bales off the top.

Nibs looked on in fascination.


You could tell exactly what she was thinking.


It all fit easily into the barn. There was enough help I didn't have to pitch in.


The pole barn guys finished later on in the day. Some of their quips cracked me up.

"You, know," one started, "I want to be a carpenter when I grow up."

"When I grow up!? That's what I want to be for Halloween!"

One more big project down.

We pulled in the gator and truck. The Subaru and trailer ended up as bookends.


We weren't idle as they worked. Carrie and I cleaned out the garage enough that we could park a car in it! I have to manually raise and close the door after I pull out, but I won't miss scraping frost when the weather turns colder again.


We did a lot with the horses, too. Carrie even gave me a riding lesson on Maddy!


Maddy looked like she wanted the day off!


I can still do it....somewhat. I'd like to know more so that I can help keep the horses in shape as necessary.

Carrie said I'm hard for her to teach. I felt like I took the riding seriously and was focused on what I was doing. I'm aware of how much effort it takes to train your body to do multiple things at once due to wrestling. However, that didn't stop me from some verbal joking around! I will have to tone that down some if I want future lessons. Carrie said Heidi thought I was serious when I said, "I just want to go fast!" (I didn't even realize Heidi could hear me).

Shane helped out with morning poop scooping. He got a bunch of praise and then went back inside to play Super Nintendo. I made him go out later for a property walk with Loki.


They ran up and down the fenceline to chase cars together (Spoiler alert: Loki's much faster!).


We were enjoying the weather and getting energy out when the hay arrived.


There was a tractor coming from the other way that stopped to let the hay delivery turn wide into our driveway. That's not everyday Scottsville, but it can happen!


Loki and I were outside when a UPS truck pulled up later. I pick Loki up whenever a car drives on property just in case he gets the idea into his head to go after it. I put him back down after the truck stopped.


The driver almost tripped on him. Oops.

Loki entertained the pole barn builders early on. Who ever heard of a barn dog afraid of barns? I try to take Loki with me when I do barn chores, but he runs away whenever I go inside.

Guess where he runs off to? The front yard. To pace cars.

Speaking of driving, Shane got another lesson in the arena. We dragged the gravel dust and he got to circle around!


I had one foot hovering over the break and one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel....just in case!

No comments:

Post a Comment