Friday, April 23, 2021

A Thought on Generosity

When we handed Shane over to Nana and Pop, Nana handed us a goodie bag for our trip home. It had some snacks, candy, a chocolate milk, and Doritos. 

I hadn't had Doritos in forever. 

If we had not just eaten ChicFilA, I would have immediately gone for the Doritos. They are not allowed in the house right now, because they are so, so good.

Carrie and I pulled out of the parking lot and I had Doritos on the mind. How long should I wait before eating them? How could I deal with the orange dust?

Right before the interstate, we pulled up to a light with a beggar. He was talking to the car in front of us. I looked at him and thought about how sad it was for a moment.

"Why don't we give him the snack bag your mom gave us?" Carrie said.

It was a great idea.

I wish it had been mine. 

My first thought was I'd miss the Doritos. 

Thankfully, my next several thoughts convicted me of how selfish that line of thinking was. We had just enough time to hand the man the bag full of snacks and I got to mull things over as we pulled away.

Being selfish comes naturally. It's sad, but human and I'm human. God commands us to put that selfishness aside and to live in generously Him. I like to think that I live a good life, but moments like mourning the loss of Doritos when I'm already full show me I can't do it on my own. Thoughts on my new and old self always make me think of the lyrics. "...I can't bear to see the man I've been come rising up again."

I was glad Carrie made the suggestion as we drove away. Only God knows if her inner heart's motivation was pure generosity or a thought to remove temptation to break her diet from the car, but God used it for his good regardless, because that's what He can do. 

The whole exchange lasted maybe 15 seconds, but it caused food for thought long after. 

1 comment:

  1. That's a really special story that Pop and I treasure! Thanks, Mike and Carrie!

    ReplyDelete