Thursday, April 29, 2021

Tough Season; Still Blessed!

When life delivers crap in an unexpected places....


...you learn to look for unexpected blessings and laugh when you can. Maybe you can even get a funny picture out of it.


It felt odd to scrape a pile off the stall wall, but gravity helped and it didn't take any bedding with it.

It's been a tough season. There was the general unknown and fear at the beginning of the pandemic, but there was enough spare time for me to take up archery and all sorts of homebound shenanigans. Virtual school started and ate up the lion's share of that spare time. Surgery took Carrie off her feet. Stress and heartache took wind from her sails. Sometimes her own thoughts keep her up at night. One night this week, she woke me up at 4 AM worried Eowyn might need water. She thought she heard Eowyn kicking the bucket which woke her, but her knee hurt or she'd go out herself to check.

So I checked. Eowyn's water was low, but it would've made it till morning. I filled it up anyway in the hope it would help Carrie ease back to sleep.


Shane's seemingly oblivious to it all. Sometimes he sets Carrie off by doing things like deicing to sing, "Butt! Butt! Butt!" in her ear which makes Loki run and bark all while she has a headache from said lack of sleep! Carrie's diet has been going really well, but that also means she can be hangry when Shane decides he wants attention and any kind will do!

There are positive signs. Carrie's been showing more energy and starting to do more each week. She mowed the pastures recently. However, she pushed herself too far and too fast. She thought her knee would support ducking between fence lines, but got a shock when it gave out! I saw her sitting down from across the way and didn't realize what happened. I did get a picture of Lilly coming over to check on her.


I haven't been able to keep up with everything all the time, but I've kept up with enough through divine intervention. Summer is closing in and it won't be a moment too soon! My SOL is June 1st this year, and I expect the work load (and attendance) will drop off once it's passed. 

The bottom line: It's been tough, but I still feel blessed. I will be happy when this season ends, but there's enough happening to be thankful for in it that I don't want to hope too hard on the future and miss what's going on before my eyes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment