Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Kids and Bad Words

There was one more story that Nana and Pop sent me about Shane's Spring Break. I thought it was good enough for its own post!

* Shane was sitting on the H's couch and visiting with Stu's dad (Dick H) and in conversation, Shane spelled s*h*i*t.  Dick said that was a bad word.  Shane said I know, that's why I spelled it!  Dick said it was still a bad word and that he didn't want Shane to spell it either. Kathleen said her kids just weren't conversationalists yet, but that Shane plopped down on the couch next to Dick and enjoyed talking with him. 

This is a classic parent moment: A moment where you'd want to correct your kid to his face, but then you immediately want to tell another adult so you can both have a good laugh! 

This wasn't Shane's first experience with naughty words. There was the time he got tricked into saying "dick" at school and the time he was curious about the F-bomb.

*That evening at bedtime, when Pop asked Shane what his favorite part of the day was, he said "getting to know my cousin's grandpa, talking with Stu's dad". Earlier, when we picked Shane up from the H's house, Shane went into detail about an interesting story that Stu's dad told him about having to pick raspberries for 2 hours a day when he was a boy. My guess is that in reply, Shane told him about his own chores regarding horse poop and cat poop and that is where his colorful spelling happened. 

I texted Nana after I read her email.


She gave me the standard disclaimer later, but she seemed to forget I grew up with her. I know she doesn't cuss (much!).

No comments:

Post a Comment