Friday, March 4, 2022

Bunny's Close Call

Animals like to jump into things.

It almost killed Hopkins. Carrie found him in a sealed plastic container Saturday morning. The sides were coated with condensate from his breath.


It's a mystery what exactly happened. Clearly, someone left the container open and Hopkins jumped in. The lid may have closed with the impact of him jumping in, but how was it sealed?


The most reasonable explanation is: Me. I normally don't enter the bunny room. However, Shane wanted to go into town on Friday to catch Pokemon. I considered taking Loki on the leash. While searching, I went into the bunny room to see if it was in a drawer. It wasn't, so I left, but it's possible I noticed an unsealed container on my way out of the room and sealed it offhand. I have no memory of doing so (It would've been on autopilot), but the container was right by the door and I don't remember seeing Hopkins when I was in the room. Carrie checked on Hopkins the next morning, so it was less than a day, but far longer than it should've been. At least the container was full of hay, so Hopkins could burrow down and eat while he awaited rescue.

It was a close call! Carrie stayed inside to keep an eye on Hopkins, so Shane and I were on our own for barn chores. Hopkins made a full recovery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment