Saturday, March 26, 2022

Game Two and a Peek at the Teen Years

 Shane's growing. He's able to be a big help when he puts his mind to it.


He's showing some of the signs of the teen years, though. Wanting to be independent, and eventually becoming independent, are good things. Wanting to be right just to be right? Not so much.

I told Shane to go inside, put on his soccer shirt, socks, and grab a snack before we headed out. I simply trusted that he would do it.

We hopped in the car and were 20 minutes down the road when an idea struck me: I never confirmed Shane followed through.

"Shane, you are wearing your shirt right?" I hoped I was being silly and paranoid.

"Hmm?" Shane made a dumb noise that doesn't translate into text rather than answer the question.

"Your shirt. Your teal, uniform shirt."

Nope. Shane didn't see why he needed it. "I'm just going to wear my coat over it anyway."

I was very clear about the shirt. Shane had even asked, "Do I have to?" and I made him repeat my instructions. We've done soccer for years and, guess what, the refs check three things at the start of every game: That kids have shin guards, acceptable cleats, and their shirts.

But Shane had decided he didn't need the shirt. He didn't even bring it in the car just in case he was wrong.

And I was angry. I was angry at Shane and angry at myself for not checking sooner.

I yelled.

Rarely, do I really yell. This time I did and I felt it was justified. We had to turn around and there was no way we'd be able to make the game on time. It was a huge inconvenience and we were letting the team down. I made a plan and emphasized that Shane needed to hurry. He likes to walk from place to place even when we're late, but he needed to hustle if he wanted to prove he was sorry.

We did make it to the game. It was the longest commute to game ever (both in miles and minutes!). 


I don't know what Shane was thinking. I don't need it? Possibly. This thing is shiny and I'll do it later? Also Shane like. Or maybe he thought they'd be forced to play him as goalie if he didn't have a jersey and could sit out the rest of the time? I don't think Shane thinks that many steps ahead, but he's a clever kid.

I told Shane to run up and apologize to his coach.


It was a cool day, so it was good he brought the coat.


The assistant coach was kind enough to start warming Shane up as a keeper. They tossed the ball back and forth on the sideline.


Halftime started shortly after our arrival. Shane got to go in as a keeper.....and wear his coat over his jersey to differentiate himself.


And yes, those are blue jeans. Atypical soccer attire to be sure, but Shane wanted to wear them. 


One of Shane's biggest weaknesses as a goalie is his goal kicking. He's small, lacks technique, and strength. He's usually happy to let someone else do "a big nuke" or "monster smash."


Shane's good at communicating. He naturally calls out when he wants the ball and lets his team know what he's doing. He'll try to general them sometimes (with mixed results), but overall I'd say it's a plus.


Shane's also getting smarter tactically. He doesn't have the biggest punt, but he doesn't rush anymore. He looks for targets and usually puts the ball by a teammate he thinks is good. I don't know how purposeful it is, but he frequently manages to have the ball hit and roll in such a way that they can run off in control rather than having to catch it (We have talked about the concept, so I'd like to think it's conscious!).


I rarely have to tell Shane to watch the ball or be on guard. He handles it 95% of the time on his own. He moves in the goal box and shift side to side without being told either. He's been more conservative about how far he'll run out, but it's only game 2.


And Shane now tries to dive for balls. He doesn't have the technique, but he sometimes goes for it.


I liked this play by Shane. He reacted and got both hands on the shot. It might have been already going out, but it's hard to say 100% from the camera angle. 


I didn't agree with him raising his hand and acting super dramatic afterward. Unfortunately, Shane can be a complainer and an excuse-plainer. He's loud about it, too.

I try to focus on positive feedback. I yell that Shane's "Doing great!" or to "Shake it off! You're tough! You got this!"

And Shane has gotten tougher. He'll whine or complain, but he usually gets back up. In this gif, Shane was too afraid to dive and did a half slide tackle (which I hate), but when he misses he immediately gets back up. He never loses track of the ball and dives on it. That level of play wouldn't cut it on a challenge team, but it's good for Shane's level of experience. The kids at his school don't play soccer at recess and there's not any action at a local park. The only playtime Shane sees is when he's on a team (and practice isn't rained out!).


So I'm proud of the kid. He's got room to grow, but he's been growing. 


The game started off with me mad, but I think it ended on a good note. We both processed and recovered from the bad start. Then Shane played well enough, felt good about it, and got some praise. 


I told him he owes me $4 for the gallon of gas turning around, though. I'm sticking to that.

Random silly thing: I like that SOCA hires kids to be refs. I think it's a great starter job. There's responsibility, exercise, helps other kids enjoy the sport, requires training, and apparently pays well. I caught this kid ref jumping to avoid disrupting one of our team's kicks.

It ended up being a conversation point in one of my classes. One of my A day students was studying to take the ref test!

No comments:

Post a Comment