Monday, March 7, 2022

Sermon Notes

If you see me on my phone during a sermon, it's because I'm paying attention. It's where I take notes. 

During college I discovered taking notes. You'd think I'd have learned that skill sooner. I have a distinct memory of copying down notes while my Assembly Language teacher walked through an analogy where he was at the grocery store putting "bachelor chow" on the conveyor belt (It seemed like he went through a bad divorce, because there were a lot of self-deprecating bachelor style jokes...).

That was 2 decades ago. I don't remember the analogy word for word, but the fact I remember the moment at all shows the power of note-taking. It gives me something to do which helps focus and maintain my attention longer. Trying to figure out the quickest way to preserve the most of the meaning forces me to further interact with the idea and I become a good student (temporarily!).

I used to take notes on paper (and I still prefer the feel), but since there aren't paper programs in church post-COVID I've started to use my phone. I open a blank draft in gmail and start typing away.

My mind still wanders somewhat, so I may jot down some stream of consciousness ideas like "Should I post my notes as a blog?"

And that idea did occur to me. I typed it in my notes and that made me remember it later. 

It's not the most exciting read, but it makes for an easier catch-up blog post! I used to be able to draw pictures, but gmail limits me to text. If you're really curious, you can click to skim through!

Building independence blog idea - Shane checked in while i went to bathroom. Sent him on mission at cash register of costco to get strawberries.

Thinking about work a lot. My mission? What should do with _____? Etc

Book idea - dawelt kids? Kids of child but claimed by parent to insist kid is still pure. Explain to newcomer girl why a family is untrustworthy but forces to rethink about gossip and such. The people from empire are already so different than the stories told.

Congregation members with family in Ukraine. Praying for peace. New ministry there. 

Praying reminded me of matt. God, as we pray, God, that your will would be done, Lord. Father, lead us...

Shane's trouble in school - remembering my own issues. Bully with Steve B. The twins in 6th grade. Feeling different, not plugged in, teachers on my case. Thought i was placed wrong, etc.

There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of each man - Blaise Pascal

Ephesians 2: in the Greek language, verses 1 through 10 are a single sentence/long thought. 

Before Christ, being led by patterns of this world/Satan. 

Eph 2:2-3

Focused on craving appetites of flesh whether they could be lust, food, or whatever. People pleaser  - you want to make you happy. In that case, you fell happy when people around you are happy.

Most fights come from "Im not getting what i want."

Marriage doesn't fix issues. They compound. Marriage exposes issues. 

Eph 2:4

Phileo - brotherly love

Storge - familial love

Eros - sexual love. "What can i get?"

Agape - unconditional love - No desire to posses - What can i give?

List of 10 faults. Never wrote down! Lucky for him that's one of the 10!

3 compound verbs in 5 and 6. Have prefixes syn which means soon or in union with.

1 Made us alive with Christ. 

Saved.  - referring to a present state that is continuing.

2 Raised us up with Christ. 

Marriage is about becoming the right person, not finding the right person

3 seated us with him in the heavenly realms

Do you see yourself as a human being trying to navigate the spiritual? Or do you see yourself as a spirit trying to navigate the physical life?

2:7 - hina clause - in order that - purpose statement

Show - legal word in greek - point to - means "case closed."

2:8 "saved" again. Definitive past action that is continuing in present

Jesus went first. Therefore we surrender. Cannot earn or deserve God's love. That is us trying to control. 

2:9 not by works, so that none can boast.

2:10 poiema - we are God's handiwork/masterpiece

Should I post my notes as a blog?

We walk in faith. We trust and obey.

Agape is same word Jesus said in Matthew to love our enemies.

Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas - Pastor recommends if marriage is on rocks.

Marriage on the rock starts April 1st.

I don't write everything- example: Group for young couples or those engaged also starting (I guess i just wrote that, though!)


No comments:

Post a Comment