Friday, September 23, 2022

Marvel Champions

Fantasy Flight announced a contest to make a custom Marvel Champions campaign. Five winners would be selected and earn a copy of Mutant Genesis, the new expansion that included X-Men for the first time!

I was excited. 

1) I enjoy Marvel Champions (when I can get someone to play it with me).

2) I enjoyed the X-Men way more than the Avengers growing up. 

3) I like making things.

There was a strict rule about only one entry allowed per email, or I may have made multiple entries. I asked Carrie if I could use hers, but later decided to stick to the spirit of the rule...mostly because of time! It's not quick to make something!

I had a couple ideas, but I went with the one that seemed the easiest to write up (because time!). I mailed in my Google links and waited impatiently.

Rules:

Campaign Log:

I spent the next couple of weeks reading up on the new X-Men expansion and checking my email. I want more stuff for the game, but I keep myself in check by refusing to buy new things until I use what I've already bought. Earning something through a contest was a loophole in that plan, and I was doing math to see how much it would cost to buy the Cyclops, Wolverine, and Storm packs to go along with Mutant Genesis if I won...

Honestly, I got carried away. I knew the chances were slim, but I wanted to win. What if there weren't a lot of entries? Growing up, the twins would enter contests saying, "Someone's got to win! Maybe it'll be us!" Could that be me?

Not that I heard anything. A couple of weeks later I got an polite email saying, "We can't do Google docs. It's PDF's or nothing."

I quickly reformatted my entry and sent it back in.

And waited some more. 

The reveal for the winners was on a live stream. I knew the date, but not the time. 

Which was good, because I didn't win. I hadn't gotten an email (even after checking the Spam folder!), so I was pretty sure that was the case. I did want to click through the stream to see what kind of campaigns one. 

Whereas I'd made my campaign quickly and focused on a mechanic, multiple winners had apparently scanned parts of comic books and gone deep on the fluff and story part alongside their rules. What I made was fine, but based on who FFG selected as winners I don't think I was ever in the running!

But it was fun. I enjoyed making the campaign. I enjoyed wondering if I might've won and if FFG runs another contest I may enter again just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment