Friday, September 30, 2022

Student Life Update (The Backlog!)

Shane talks about not fitting in places. Some of it is perception (he's thin-skinned). Some is social skills (lecturing instead of listening, not learning names). Some is Shane just belongs to a different crowd (there were lots of hunters and baseball fans at Scottsville Elementary). 

But I think Shane's starting to feel like he fits in more with the youth group. He still can't tell me lots of names, but it's clear most people know his name!


I try to grill Shane on what happened when he hops in the car. He's told me he enjoyed playing "Body, body!" or that there was a kid who'd pushed him in school that showed up in group and looked embarrassed about it, etc. 

It's been a positive experience. 

There were two events this week: The normal Wednesday, and a "bonfire" Friday that moved inside due to rain.

Shane was playing Mario Kart when I came in to check on him. He's terrible, but he had a good attitude (very important for making other people enjoy playing with you!). If Mario Kart ever went on sale, I might pick it up for him to practice at home! My sibs and I all enjoyed Mario Kart.


When it was time to go, Shane hopped into a Twister game. After it was deadlocked between Shane and a girl for so long, I declared a tie. It was time to go!

I plan to make Shane stick with StudentLife all year, so he can be a veteran next year. I might double-dip and have him try the Youth Group at First Street Baptist, as well, but I'm mildly concerned he'd make comparisons out-loud and constantly! I'm hoping he'll get better at screening his opinions before voicing them as he matures, ha!

1 comment:

  1. You are the BEST dad! Thank you for having him participate regularly in youth group. Well done!

    ReplyDelete