Friday, November 29, 2013

Black Friday

On a random note: I am morally opposed to Black Friday.

Black Friday shopping sucks.

I might shop online, but I avoid retail stores Thanksgiving and the day after. Kudos to stores that shut down or have limited hours so their employees can spend time with family and avoid retail abuse. Props to all the emergency/essential personnel who don't have that option.

Once upon a time, I braved the crowds. It lasted about 5 minutes. I thought 6 AM would be "early enough." The line at Best Buy wrapped around the interior of the whole store twice! My friend and I gaped and then left. We figured our time was worth more than saving $20 on the leftover deals.

I've had other friends who have enjoyed the sales. They camped out overnight and made a party of it with the people around them in line. It wasn't my thing, but it at least sounded like an experience. Kinda like camping out overnight for a major concert only you're at....Target.

Meh.

Now Black Friday just seems like an excuse to be greedy, abuse retail workers, and forget about family. It's creeped up onto Thanksgiving day here and headlines like "Black Friday Brawl at Walmart!" proliferate news sites. There's the murder over a parking spot, the trampling deaths from last year, etc. etc.

If you did go out in the crowds today, I hope you came back with all of your limbs intact and managed to be a blessing rather than a bastard to those around you. I get that it can be fun hunting for a deal, but I figure the time would be better spent with family.

Or maybe your family is your wing/elbow-men helping you survive the crowds?

Okay, I take it back: Friday is a day better spent resting, relaxing, and bonding with family!

No comments:

Post a Comment