Monday, November 11, 2013

Marrow Update

There was a slight SNAFU with my email address, but I contacted the NMDP through their website. They got back to me the next day.

I gave my consent for further evaluation and it's time to "hurry up and wait." I was told it could take anywhere from a week to 60 days to hear back.

In the meantime, I figured I'd share another perspective. My dad forwarded me a short email a day after my post.



He'd written to his friend who lost his son.

My church ran a bone marrow sign up thing back in 2006 at the same time Boone was going thru his struggle.  My whole family signed up at the time (pretty easy really, just a cotton swab in the mouth and a form to fill out).
My step mom is in town for the week to visit us.  We planned to keep my grandson Shane on Wednesday so that step mom could hang out with Shane for the day.  Mike picked Shane up at the end of the day.  We were going to Wednesday night dinner at church and Mike decided to go with us.  He normally wouldn't do that (I normally don't go either).  While eating dinner my phone rang, it was from the bone marrow registry and they were looking for Mike.  The phone I carry was Mike's phone back in 2006 (it's actually the same phone which shows you how often I upgrade the phone).  I handed the phone across the table to Mike.  I had to watch Shane while he did a 30 minute interview.  They asked him to be a bone marrow donor and he said yes.  Thru the phone interview it turns out the marrow is needed by a 4 year old boy (Mike's son is almost 3).  Mike is not sure if they will use his bone marrow or not.  They are getting information, will test his swab from many years ago, etc....  But they are going thru the process to see if he is the best match.  It was a lot of coincidences strung together and we figure it was just a God thing.  I will let you know how it turns out.  Mike is hoping he gets to do it.  It is pretty cool.  Boone strikes again I think.  Thanks  Tim

My Dad's friend replied:

Tim: Thanks for the note.  That’s awesome… It is a God thing, I’m sure. 

J was called to be a donor a few years ago and they wound up “not needing her” (not sure why… they never tell you the details… don’t know if they found another donor or something else happened?).  But it is an honor and a privilege to get to give the gift of life to another person. 

Bless Mike and I hope he can help that little boy.

It is an emotional process and not without its complications.  We still hear from Boone’s donor in Germany (just got a post card from them last week).  We feel like they are family now, somehow.

Thanks for letting me know.  Keep me updated.

Normally, I wouldn't post emails. It's not that I never have, but it's a little bit like being caught on a tape recorder or open mic unaware.

This story felt like something to share.

If I'm called in to donate: Great. I'd love a chance to be part of that. To save a life; to make a difference.

If I'm not called in to donate: that's okay too. Hopefully the boy's parents will be glad to know that there were people willing to step forward.

It's also a powerful message to me that even small things I've done and forgotten years and years ago can come back.

Scary, huh?

A mistake, a poor choice of words, or a simple shortcut can haunt out of the blue.

Then again, God can use anything, anytime, anywhere for anyone.

That's a bit intimidating, but there's hope in it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment