Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Classics

I'm getting cheaper and cheaper in my 'old age.'

I prefer to think of it as 'efficient' and 'not materially driven,' but I can foresee Shane using the ch- word when he's older (or even skinflint if he has a vocabulary!).

I've discovered there are many free classic ebooks in the public domain. They're not always the type of books I would search out, but they work out great for my current situation. I don't have a lot of time to read, these can fit on my phone, are free, and typically shorter than modern novels.

It can't hurt to get a little culture either.

There was a Dr. Who episode with Agatha Christie, so I decided to read The Mysterious Affair at Styles. Sherlock was always fun, so why not try Poirot?

Honestly, it was not my preferred type of novel. It was clear to me that Agatha weaves a nice, muddy tale. All the characters have their own ideas and agendas and not everything that seems related to the case at hand really is.

I went ahead and picked up Murder on the Oriental Express on Shane and I's last library visit.

Once again, it wasn't the most gripping, page-turner. The conclusion was where Agatha Christie shows she's a master of writing mysteries.

I felt pretty good about myself picking up on or guessing (if I'm generous) a quarter of the facts and idiosyncrasies.

The resolution was such that it was all or nothing. I didn't see it coming.

Some period and linguistic knowledge was present I would never have picked up on, but Ms. Christie does leave clues throughout the entire story. With good reason, the cover exclaimed "Her masterpiece!"

I'm working on The Dubliners right now, but I can't say it's a quarter as amusing. I find it ironic that ages ago an English teacher or professor might have forced me to read these and here I'm doing it because it's free and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment