Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Lickety-Split

I called Bill on the way home from work today. There was no real reason. I hadn't spoken with him for a while and figured it'd be nice to check-in.

"Hey Mikey! I've been meaning to call you and give you a hard time!" Bill said. Out of the blue, rescue dog organizations started calling him for character references on us.

Hmmmmm.....I wonder why?

I laughed and told Bill that Carrie moves quick when she wants to make something happen.

She moves so quick that as I spoke to Bill the final home inspection for our dog to be was less than a half hour away.

I'm a little leery.

It's been roughly two weeks since Carrie told me she was interested in a rescue. We talked, we agreed there was no harm in researching, and last Saturday Carrie stumbled across a "dog drive" or whatever you call it when rescue orgs set up shop in front of pet stores and try to melt your heart into picking up a dog or two.

One dog tugged at my wife's heart strings.

Carrie put in an application to prevent any else from claiming 'her dog,' and things have rolled on.

It's all happened too fast for my liking. There are reasons I have (jokingly) banned Carrie from pet stores and chatting with breeders. I think I let my guard down again after the fish have survived and bred.

I want a dog. I think a dog would be a good companion for Shane growing up and a good home security system to boot.

I don't want to rush in, get the wrong dog and end up saying good-bye. I said good-bye to Min less than a month ago, too.

I've always intended to broach the subject of dog ownership with my wife again one day, but I had thought it would be when Shane was older and able to help. I figured selling the idea of a dog to Carrie after the last one failed wouldn't be easy (it was her idea that time!).

Instead, she's 90% sold and I'm the one dragging my heels.

Not at all how I envisioned things.

Carrie and I both agree that she and Shane need to go visit our new potential family member this week. I've gotten along with about every mutt I've ever met, so Carrie and Shane are the two we need to try and bond to the rescue.

If things go well, we could have a dog on Sunday.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I want to think this is meant to happen, but I don't want blind hope to hide any painful truths.

Oh, here's a cute pic of Shane with Indy to reward you for getting this far down!


No comments:

Post a Comment