Friday, July 31, 2015

A Visit North: Tutor Family

Several weeks ago, I received an unexpected text. Judy, Jarrod's mom, asked if we were still in the area. Jarrod, the boy I used to tutor, wanted to check in. She said he wanted to say "Thank you," etc. 

How many times have you wanted to say something to someone buy never did? I wanted to give Jarrod a chance at closure, so Shane and I met them at sweetFrog. 

Shane had a chocolate mustache by the time they arrived!


Judy, Jarrod, Shane and I hung out and talked for a little bit. Jarrod was taller and still a Cowboys fan (bah!). He's in to political science now and got a job teaching soccer to kids for the summer. Shane regaled us all with tales of tornadoes and how to eat ice cream before I gave him my phone.

After we talked for a bit, Jarrod gave me one of the coolest thank-you presents ever: His copy of The Essential Calvin and Hobbes.


And the inside was autographed!


Very, very cool. I love Calvin and Hobbes. I plan on reading those with Shane when he's older. Jarrod had already heard about Hobbes and Bacon, too. They gave us a light stick and a pocket monkey tool, too.

I enjoyed tutoring. The extra income was nice, but what I really enjoyed was a chance to make a difference. Apparently, God used me to do that and it felt great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment