Monday, November 15, 2021

Listening Skills

My kid doesn't listen. Or if he does, he can conveniently forgets who said it, so he can claim credit.

It's not like this it the first time I've said it, either (and he's still loud, too!)

Two things happened tonight.

First, I sat down to help Shane get started with his Japanese HW from Ryouma. 


"It looks like ここ(Koko) means 'Here,' そこ(Soko) means 'There,' and あそこ(Asoko) means 'Over there,'" I said.

I left Shane to study and do you know what he says 10 minutes later?

"Ah! Dad, I've figured it out! ここ(Koko) means 'Here,'..."

"I just said that 10 minutes ago."

"You did?"

....

And then it happened again at bedtime!

On Sunday, I took Shane to the comic shop. While we were there I noticed there was a manga version of the Wings of Fire book he's on

"Oh, look Shane!" I said. "It's a comic version of the book you're reading."

"The underwater one?" Shane asked.

"Yes! The exact one you're reading. Pretty cool, eh?"

So tonight, Monday, Shane said, "Dad! I learned something new at school today!"

"Oh?"

"The librarian told me there's a comic version of the Wings of Fire books!"

....

I glowered, but Shane stayed jubilant. I straight up stared at him through my eyebrows and he kept prattling on about how discovery without taking the hint.

I ended up interrupting him. "Shane. I told you about those."

"You did?"

....

"Yes.....at the comic book shop?" I recounted the details.

"Oh....well, the librarian told me this morning, too."

I guess he listened to the librarian and gave her some credit this go around. Maybe that counts as improvement? I sure hope it improves before the teenage years!

No comments:

Post a Comment