Saturday, January 7, 2023

Baby Management (Q4!)

 Cold rain was predicted for the weekend, so all the horses needed blankets. That included the babies.


Felix was easy. He was too busy eating to be bothered with going crazy. Beaux on the other hand....


I learned that a 6-month old baby horse is stronger than I am. I don't remember if this was the first time, but the lesson stuck. I tried to hold him still and couldn't. Carrie demonstrated the proper technique: Turn the head.


Muscle for muscle a horse's legs will beat a human's every time. We were designed to use our brains, so it's smarter to let the horse walk. Pulling the halter guides them in a small circle you can work from...provided other busybody ponies don't try to get in the way.


I finished the job after Beaux got away with Fefe's help. Carrie and I got a little dizzy, but we got the job done.


Beaux eventually decided he could walk and eat while wearing a blanket, too.

Carrie kept cooing about how cute they looked, so mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment