Friday, April 14, 2023

Some Shane Stuff (Sushi and More!)

Shane and Carrie put their sushi making class to work the other day.


The dogs thought it smelled delicious.


Aria was intrigued and willing to help, as well.


Shane either got camera shy or wanted to be annoying (possibly both).


He got fancier California rolls (avocado brings the good fats!).


I don't remember how much he helped make them, but I do remember he was happy to help eat them.


The first Christmas surprise I ever ruined was to discover Carrie's plan to make me homemade sushi. That was around 14 years ago? I was already in love, so she didn't need to pull out the stops to impress me (But it was appreciated!).


The dogs moved to hang around Shane (They know where the food is most likely to hit the floor). Aria moved to a higher vantage point.


Watching....still watching....


I was thrilled with what Carrie made. I love it when she cooks and when she involves Shane in the process. I got spicy tuna rolls.


Carrie made herself rolls that involved apple and a sweet horseradish sauce.


She'd bought precooked tempura shrimp to recreate the first sushi rolls I ever had. John convinced me to try them at the Fortune House back in the day. The shrimp was cooked and "You can tempura anything and it will taste better. Vegetables? Cardboard? All better."


Shane and I have slowly been making our way through Yu Yu Hakusho. I watched the show that's always compared to it, Flame of Recca, when I was in high school (and downloading one 50 mb episode a night using GetRite on the house's dialup internet!). I'm partial to Recca, but Yu Yu's tournament arc is almost always highly rated, so we've been making our way through it.


Normally, it's my breaktime when Shane hops on TV or a video game. I'll offer to play Deep Rock Galactic with him, but what he really wants to do is play Roblox. Preferably with a friend he talk to on the phone like Cole or Dylan (Usually Cole). Shane wouldn't mind being allowed to play alone, but we still nix that. I let him download a program to mod Minecraft, so that gets a little more playtime recently. He'll pop on Balloons TD 6 every now and then, too, but Shane doesn't tend to stick with games to completion. I haven't seen him on Satisfactory, WarGroove, Xcom, or Just Shapes and Beats much lately. It's Minecraft or Roblox 95% of the time.


Getting your earwax scooped is kind of like a video game. No, this isn't a regular occurrence (maybe once a year?). Just an odd mother-son moment.

Frankly, Shane's pretty trusting to let Carrie put that in his ear. I know there's the video and such, but I won't do it!

Currently, Shane has a 9 PM bed time. It's usually not exact. We send him towards his room to brush his teeth and get ready for bed. He normally lets Happy in with him and then grabs a Garfield or a Calvin and Hobbes to read in bed. I show up later for a quick Bible reading, chat, and prayer before he goes down for the night.

Loki really doesn't like Shane going to bed. He'll start barking up a storm if anyone says, "Bedtime!" It was hilarious at first. We (Shane and I) have had to learn to plan to avoid it, because Loki freaking out has woken up Carrie on occasion! 

Here's Loki sleeping at Shane's door. He knew that I was about to go in to check on Shane.


When I went inside, Shane was already asleep. It's not daily, but it's not uncommon to find Shane conked out with the lights still on. He plays hard all day, so he's ready to recharge by the time night rolls around.


I try to let Happy out before I go to bed. Otherwise, she'll sometimes wake Shane up by sitting on his face, licking him, or asking for food (She really is his cat).

No comments:

Post a Comment