Thursday, February 27, 2020

Winter Sports

Thursday was the winter sports award banquet. It started with food at 6:00 PM, so I had time to go home, move hay, and then pick up Shane. We arrived a little after 6 PM and all of the Bojangles was gone. We were able to get a couple of slices of pizza and cake, so it wasn't all for naught! 

I handed Shane my phone, so that I could talk. He was absorbed for the rest of the night. I sat behind him when we moved to the awards at 6:30 PM.


We only had three wrestlers show up. One left after food. The coach passed out the team picture and of the 10 kids and 1 manager who were in it, 5 stayed on the team, one became a manager, and the manager became a wrestler. We'd had more wrestlers the first week who weren't in the picture, but they all disappeared after pissing in a cup or losing at a scrimmage.

Two highlights from the night:

1) Coach Winfrey pointed out some stains on a banner in cafeteria. They were 10 years old from a food fight in his senior year. "It was taco day!"

2) One of the wrestlers who showed up was a ginger like me. He was in 8th grade and had little impulse control. I was bored and tired and ended up "letting my ginger show." I'd been good all day, but looking back we were too loud.

We had one more wrestler show up at the very end. He was our senior, so it was good to see him.

I'm still planning on coaching next year. I hope there's more of a team to coach, though! Maybe I'll be able to start a middle school program like I did in Charlottesville.

No comments:

Post a Comment